Brake lights not working

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

CPrice9720

Reaction score
I'm having the same problem/s. 3rd light works, turn signals, running lights all work and hazard lights also work. Replaced the switch didn't work, 2 other time it did work. Checked fuses, the 10amp inside cab was blown but didn't fix problem when replaced. Pulled relay, check ground (lower right plug) - good. Check hot (lower left plug) - good. Applied braking and checked hot coming from switch (top left plug) - not power. Applied a jumper from lower left plug to top left plug with relay partially installed and lights worked. So seems no power coming from switch to relay. But must have power to switch because 3rd light works when pedal is pressed. I didn't know the brake lights went through cruise control but I will try CC tomorrow to see if it works. Also while hazard lights are on, brake pedal does not stop them from flashing.

Attachments

• Brakelight Relay K3500.jpg
    Brakelight Relay K3500.jpg
    375.4 KB · Views: 9
Last edited:

Jjbiskup

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I had the same problem, replaced the switch and still didn’t work. Have somebody stand behind your truck and manually press the actual brake light switch and see if it engages. You should hear a relay click if it engages if you dont have somebody to stand behind your truck. If it does what I did was I shimmed the actual switch with some trash sandpaper I had in my toolbox. Let me know if you want pictures and I can show you how I shimmed it. Works great now

98k1500girl

Reaction score
I had the same problem, replaced the switch and still didn’t work. Have somebody stand behind your truck and manually press the actual brake light switch and see if it engages. You should hear a relay click if it engages if you dont have somebody to stand behind your truck. If it does what I did was I shimmed the actual switch with some trash sandpaper I had in my toolbox. Let me know if you want pictures and I can show you how I shimmed it. Works great now
That would be great! the relay does engage as they do go on if the pedal is barley pressed

Jjbiskup

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
That would be great! the relay does engage as they do go on if the pedal is barley pressed
If you are hearing the relay clicking when you press your foot on the pedal and the brake lights are not coming on, there is a problem with your wiring on the load side of the relay. My problem was that my switch was not engaging at all, only when manually pulled back with my hand. Could you explain your problem a little better?

98k1500girl

Reaction score
If you are hearing the relay clicking when you press your foot on the pedal and the brake lights are not coming on, there is a problem with your wiring on the load side of the relay. My problem was that my switch was not engaging at all, only when manually pulled back with my hand. Could you explain your problem a little better?
all 3 brake lights stopped working at the same time. If i barley push down on the brake the lights do come on, if i push down any farther to actually engage the brakes they don’t stay on. I’ve replaced fuses, relay, switch, and check the bulbs

Jjbiskup

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
all 3 brake lights stopped working at the same time. If i barley push down on the brake the lights do come on, if i push down any farther to actually engage the brakes they don’t stay on. I’ve replaced fuses, relay, switch, and check the bulbs
Okay it sounds like the problem is with your switch. Like I said I shimmed mine on the end of the brake booster arm granted that yours is a 94-98 obs with the second style of brake light switch. I’ll try to get you some pictures of mine asap.

Caman96

OEM Baby!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Was it like this before you replaced brake switch?
Okay it sounds like the problem is with your switch. Like I said I shimmed mine on the end of the brake booster arm granted that yours is a 94-98 obs with the second style of brake light switch. I’ll try to get you some pictures of mine asap.
Unless it was doing it with the other switch, BUT with what you get for parts I suppose new part could have same issue. Seems unlikely though.