Brake Fluid Recommendations?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
OK - tell it like it is. How good is the pedal feel after being bled properly?

To be fair I really didn't have any complaints before this, but it does seem better. Travel length before encountering resistance seems reduced slightly, and the brakes are very responsive.

Erik the Awful

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Earlier in the thread I commented that I use Wilwood 600. Last weekend I bled my brakes and I used the last of my Wilwood *570*. I looked it up just now to order more, and it's currently $51 for a case at Summit, which is about 3x the cost of parts store fluid, but less than half the price of Motul 600.

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Still happy with the Wilwood 570 fluid in the red truck. About to order some more for the Suburban and I noticed that they've changed it to DOT 5.1 from DOT 3. Probably the same formula, but interesting that the rating has been changed.

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
Still happy with the Wilwood 570 fluid in the red truck. About to order some more for the Suburban and I noticed that they've changed it to DOT 5.1 from DOT 3. Probably the same formula, but interesting that the rating has been changed.

I wouldn't think too much into it. The GG or HH Raybestos pads have way less grip that the FF pads I road race with on the Camaro. Right up there with tire wear numbers.

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
The GG or HH Raybestos pads have way less grip that the FF pads I road race with on the Camaro.

Have you tested Raybestos Element3 pads on the Camaro? Curious how you came to that conclusion.

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
No. Not even close to close. Element3 is not a race pad.

So then what basis for comparison are you using? Truck with Raybestos Element3 GG/HH pads vs race Camaro with FF track pads? Seems a little unfair if so.

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
So then what basis for comparison are you using? Truck with Raybestos Element3 GG/HH pads vs race Camaro with FF track pads? Seems a little unfair if so.

How so? Coefficient of friction for GG/HH should be higher than FF and it isn't in that case. Here's another one that hits closer to home: Hawk LTS pads are also FF and have more bite than the Element3.

You must be registered for see images attach

So in my experience this whole rating system seems a bit arbitrary. I get more fade and stink with a trailer using the Element3 pads as well compared to the Hawks. I'm hoping they outlast the Hawks, are easier on rotors, and that the dust is less corrosive on wheels than the Hawks. That will justify them in my book. That and I don't want to much pad up front, then the front just locks when you have a trailer out back.

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
How so? Coefficient of friction for GG/HH should be higher than FF and it isn't in that case.

My point was that I'm not sure how you can reach that conclusion when testing them on completely different vehicles. I'm assuming the Camaro is four wheel disc as opposed to disc/drum, weighs significantly less than the truck, and probably has different pad surface area contacting the rotors as well. IMO there's too many variables there to definitively say that the pads are the difference in braking feel.

Here's another one that hits closer to home: Hawk LTS pads are also FF and have more bite than the Element3.

Was this comparison done with both on the same vehicle?

Erik the Awful

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Fade and stink aren't the same metric as friction. I do know that the Lemons racers who run Crown Vics swear by Raybestos Element3s. They last longer than Hawks and stop better, but it may be a difference in application. CVs are heavy, and maybe they put more or less heat into the pad?