Boxing(doubling) the rear frame on my SAS'd 1997 K1500

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Baitshop

Reaction score
Man, that's frame looks killer! The sas looks well done! Are you running dual or triple shocks up front? Or just the single? Also cant tell if its leafs or coils?

Thanks! It's just a SKY's bracket kit up front, along with their shackle flip deal out back. I am running a set of 1976 Ford F250 highboy 3 inch wide leaf springs up front, just because I had them laying around. It is just a single shock setup.

great white

Retirement countdown!
Reaction score
GVRW(Gross Vehicle Rated Weight). It was a typo.

Sent from Robl@nd

Actually, GCWR is gross combined weight rating. It's the total of tow vehicle and towed item weight.

GVWR is gross vehicle weight rating.

:)

Edit* gotta type faster I guess :rofl:

great white

Retirement countdown!
Reaction score
What is GCWR....

Also, You should post pictures of your whole truck!

I think he should post pictures of his whole truck when you cut down that "holy big sig pic" so it fits on one screen.....:rofl:

Ruger_556

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
The second I cut the front suspension off of my truck it became illegal to operate on public roads in this state. I dispatch a fleet of commercial motor vehicles, and I am acutely aware of the laws governing such things. I appreciate your concern, but I chose to do this to make my truck stronger. I realize that GVWR on these types of vehicles cannot be increased in this state. That is not the point of this modification. If I were to be stopped by a state inspector, towing or not, the GVWR would be the least of my concern.

Gotcha, As long as you know about it :waytogo: Most people don't have a clue and DOT is getting picky now.

great white

Retirement countdown!
Reaction score
I like the boxing.

Curious as to why you stopped short of the front aft spring hangars with it...

Ruger_556

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Looking good. I try to avoid welding on frame rail flanges but it looks sturdy.

Baitshop

Reaction score
I like the boxing.

Curious as to why you stopped short of the front aft spring hangars with it...

Honestly, because I ran out of donor frame. I stewed on it quite a bit, and came to the conclusion that A) leaving the factory transmission crossmember unmodified would simplify a few things, and B) I am primarily worried about the strength of the frame directly behind the cab. This is where they seem to get weak over time. The boxed section runs all the way up under the drivers seat. Ultimately I was satisfied with it. Time will tell I suppose. If the frame rails were longer, or I had an extra chunk of it handy, I would have probably gone the whole way.