Bowtie Brody's Namesake 96 454

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Christian Steffen

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Well the exhaust smell seems to have cleared itself up for the time being; I'm going to get some new AC Delco O2 sensors and a couple other things, I need to hose out the MAF but the weather hasn't been cooperating; freezing cold and heavy rain make for low motivation.

I started looking at camshafts again, I know quite a few of you 7.4 guys here are running Comp Xtreme Energy cams, what are your thoughts on the Tri-Power Extreme grinds?
I've researched but I can't find anything from any truck applications; mainly muscle cars running Gen 6 454s, should I take that as a hint pertaining to TPE grinds in truck engines?
You must be registered for see images attach

Well, just a quick look at the TPE 262 vs the XE 264, they XE has a 110 LSA vs the TPE having a 114 LSA. I would go XE because of that. I believe Comp will also grind to about anything you want, so if you have something in mind they would probably do it.

BNielsen

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
A couple of simple updates, I emailed Comp to see what they can recommend for a camshaft that will fit the bill for what this truck's duties are, and what they will be.

Finally installed the HD headlight harness; between the harness, 4Hi, and the 9011/9012 bulb conversion I can't believe how nice it is to drive at night now. I'm working on adding a set of lights in the bumper now, I've got brackets made up but they need to be made a bit longer due to the plastic shield and transmission cooler lines.

I need to finish wire-looming it, but other than that it was an easy install;
I lost the low beams and 4Hi due to a wire backing out of the weatherpack connector, so a little pressure to snap it back into it's retainer a liberal coating of electrical tape solved that issue.

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
The 9011/9012 bulbs? You have to trim one of the types very slightly, but other than that they drop right in.
Low beams are 65 Watt and highs are something like 60; you'd have to run headlights with glare caps to be able to run them properly.

Like these?

I have my HID lows that I'm very happy with. HIDs aren't a good option for high beams IMO and neither are the LEDs. This sounds like the perfect upgrade for the highs. I too have a 4 hi mod of my own design.

BNielsen

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I've got to repaint the frame on this thing; I was hoping it would've help up but I guess I didn't have the frame cleaned down enough for the paint to get a good hold;

BNielsen

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
No big updates, just been driving it and enjoying everything I've done.
I do have a few things I'd like to get done in the next couple of weeks though, new headliner, installing my dual display comp/temp mirror, overhead console with DIC, new tow mirrors, brakes/hubs and what not.

BNielsen

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Well it looks like brakes, hubs, ball joints, some bushings and other things moved up on the list. I hit a pothole at about 55 miles an hour the other night so the truck likes to pull hard to the right under moderate braking now.
Then a new headliner and new carpet because mine are starting to mold due to some leaks in the cab.

Anyone have any luck with Detroit Axle components? I'm looking at their hubs because I don't want to pay $300 for a set of Timkens but I may just have to bite that bullet.

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
Wheel bearings are a terrible place to skimp. Back in MI you get a year or 2 tops from a Dorman bearing. Even the Moogs suck if you try to road race them on a Camaro. You're better off with a used good junkyard bearing there. I put Timkens on the Envoy and my 1500. Fit and finish, even the wire clips are just like stock.