Bowtie Brody's Namesake 96 454

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BNielsen

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
So I'm confused. . . your truck is old, likes to
drink, or is dead?

It's old, likes to drink, and sometimes I wonder how it's not dead.
I've got to say I was sad as hell when I heard John Dunsworth passed away, TPB will never be the same.

One of the truckers that delivers to the factory said my truck was like an Indian chief; old, red, and likes to drink.....
--------------------------------
Looks like the truck is going to get washed down with parts; it's running waaay rich but not throwing any codes; same issue as before but it seems to have gotten worse in the past couple of days.

Right now O2 sensors are the first on the list; followed by maybe a new Mass Air Flow sensor? I was thinking about upgrading to a ported LT1 housing seeing as how they're similar to the truck ones; would it be worthwhile or just a waste of money?

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
A waste and it'll throw your MAF off too. As far as I know the LT1 MAF is identical. Try cleaning yours first and if that doesn't work just unplug it and see how it runs.

Christian Steffen

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
It's old, likes to drink, and sometimes I wonder how it's not dead.
I've got to say I was sad as hell when I heard John Dunsworth passed away, TPB will never be the same.

One of the truckers that delivers to the factory said my truck was like an Indian chief; old, red, and likes to drink.....
--------------------------------
Looks like the truck is going to get washed down with parts; it's running waaay rich but not throwing any codes; same issue as before but it seems to have gotten worse in the past couple of days.

Right now O2 sensors are the first on the list; followed by maybe a new Mass Air Flow sensor? I was thinking about upgrading to a ported LT1 housing seeing as how they're similar to the truck ones; would it be worthwhile or just a waste of money?

What makes you think its rich?

Edit. It could be you said and I missed it.

Last edited:

BNielsen

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Well the exhaust smell seems to have cleared itself up for the time being; I'm going to get some new AC Delco O2 sensors and a couple other things, I need to hose out the MAF but the weather hasn't been cooperating; freezing cold and heavy rain make for low motivation.

I started looking at camshafts again, I know quite a few of you 7.4 guys here are running Comp Xtreme Energy cams, what are your thoughts on the Tri-Power Extreme grinds?
I've researched but I can't find anything from any truck applications; mainly muscle cars running Gen 6 454s, should I take that as a hint pertaining to TPE grinds in truck engines?
You must be registered for see images attach