Bowtie Brody's Namesake 96 454

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BNielsen

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Well I'm not sure how, but I've managed to both neglect and busy myself with the upkeep on this truck.
I've neglected pulling data for @Mangonesailor (Sorry Dustin! I'm going to start datalogging on my way to and from work) but I've been chasing some electrical gremlins, I think there's a spot in my taillight harness that's rubbed through and popping a fuse. I've got a couple suspicious areas taped up so I hope that'll solve the issue.

I've been fighting this issue since I bought the truck, but through all my research I haven't really found an answer to the problem.
My gear selector light does not light up in OD/3/2/1; P/R/N light up just fine though. Could it be the selector on the transmission or something in the dash? It's not the cluster because the original did it, and my Esky cluster does it. Anyone dealt with this before?

AK49BWL

GMT400 Forever!
Reaction score
My gear selector light does not light up in OD/3/2/1; P/R/N light up just fine though. Could it be the selector on the transmission or something in the dash? It's not the cluster because the original did it, and my Esky cluster does it. Anyone dealt with this before?
Sounds like the position switch assembly if it's not the cluster. Could also be the wires between the switch body and the cluster... How did you tap them for the 0411?

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
I didn't tap my wires, I used a .cax file with EFILive. Brody the CASE relearn literally takes a second, it's over the instant you crack the gas.

Mangonesailor

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Brody, I'd check the connector at the trans and make sure it's clean or at least has a good connection.

How did you tap them for the 0411?

I don't believe you need to tap them anymore, or at least on some. I recall Brody saying something about it at some point, but I can't remember. I didn't have to tap into the harness.

AK49BWL

GMT400 Forever!
Reaction score
Ah ok. It's been a while since I got the info (2015) and I don't have an auto anyway so I wouldn't know lol.

BNielsen

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Sounds like the position switch assembly if it's not the cluster. Could also be the wires between the switch body and the cluster... How did you tap them for the 0411?
Brody, I'd check the connector at the trans and make sure it's clean or at least has a good connection.
I don't believe you need to tap them anymore, or at least on some. I recall Brody saying something about it at some point, but I can't remember. I didn't have to tap into the harness.

Regarding the trans range switch; Lextech programmed my PCM to not need it. Someone said it could possibly be the ribbon cable between the cluster and connector, I'll inspect that connector tomorrow to see.

I didn't tap my wires, I used a .cax file with EFILive. Brody the CASE relearn literally takes a second, it's over the instant you crack the gas.

I've got to switch over something in the tune, @Mangonesailor noted that because of my modified rev limiter, it's kicking out of the CASE relearn for some reason, I can't remember if he said the specific issue.

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
Regarding the trans range switch; Lextech programmed my PCM to not need it. Someone said it could possibly be the ribbon cable between the cluster and connector, I'll inspect that connector tomorrow to see.

That's weird, mine has never gone past 4000 for a CASE I don't think.

I've got to switch over something in the tune, @Mangonesailor noted that because of my modified rev limiter, it's kicking out of the CASE relearn for some reason, I can't remember if he said the specific issue.

Mangonesailor

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
That's weird, mine has never gone past 4000 for a CASE I don't think.

While that's true, you will bounce off the hard-coded rev-limiter for days and will never actually perform a Case relearn if it's not set to factory.

Believe me. I got to listen to my truck backfiring in a shop bay for a good 15min on and off while a guy tried (and was successful before). I put the rev limiters back and he did it in one shot.

Be that as it may, Brody, I think I sent you a tune ready-to-go so hopefully it'll go smoothly.

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
While that's true, you will bounce off the hard-coded rev-limiter for days and will never actually perform a Case relearn if it's not set to factory.

Believe me. I got to listen to my truck backfiring in a shop bay for a good 15min on and off while a guy tried (and was successful before). I put the rev limiters back and he did it in one shot.

Be that as it may, Brody, I think I sent you a tune ready-to-go so hopefully it'll go smoothly.

Weird. I've not touched my rev limiter a but will keep that in mind. The 411 has a stock limit of 5600 I think, you'll never bump your head on that with a near stock 454. Hell I don't even get near it with the 350.