Bowtie Brody's Namesake 96 454

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

White96k2500

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I thought I had an Eaton E-Locker locked down for my truck already installed in a 4.10 diff; but that fell through.
I would at least like some form of limited slip in the front because there's been a few times in the past where I've only had 3 wheels to use where I really needed all 4 to even stand a chance.
Most of my research so far I haven't seen anything on any adverse effects or accelerated wear on any front end components with any kind of limited slip installed.

It's still beyond my comprehension as to why Eaton would discontinue the E-Locker for the 9.25 diffs, but they still sell one for the 8.25.
Got a link to the truetrac? I didn’t know they made anything for the front in ours except the arb.

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
I thought I had an Eaton E-Locker locked down for my truck already installed in a 4.10 diff; but that fell through.
I would at least like some form of limited slip in the front because there's been a few times in the past where I've only had 3 wheels to use where I really needed all 4 to even stand a chance.
Most of my research so far I haven't seen anything on any adverse effects or accelerated wear on any front end components with any kind of limited slip installed.

It's still beyond my comprehension as to why Eaton would discontinue the E-Locker for the 9.25 diffs, but they still sell one for the 8.25.

For a Truetrac or any full time limited slip I think you'd need to have the diff actuated full time.

BNielsen

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
@Supercharged111 yeah; from all the research I'm seeing now it seems like it'd be more work than it's worth to install any limited slip in the front diff; so really an electric or air locker would be the only reasonable choice. But since Eaton doesn't make the E-Locker anymore, and the ARB air locker is $1200+ it's seeming that this idea is rapidly loosing steam.
Maybe I'll get lucky and find an E-Locker somewhere? Hard telling.
-------------------------------------------------------------
Also; I've mentioned it a few times before on other threads, and I haven't found anything strictly related to it, so would any fellow 454 owners contribute information if there was a thread strictly for Gen 6 454s? Ever since the big thread on FSC vanished there's been tons of info I've tried to find that I remember seeing, but now I can't find it anywhere.
Just a thought that would help anyone trying to find out about these dinosaurs.

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
Oh man, I haven't been on FSC in ages. I didn't realize that thread was gone. I can contribute whatever I know, for whatever that's worth. Maybe ping a mod so we can try and sticky it off the bat of we have topics identified right off the bat?

Christian Steffen

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
@Supercharged111 yeah; from all the research I'm seeing now it seems like it'd be more work than it's worth to install any limited slip in the front diff; so really an electric or air locker would be the only reasonable choice. But since Eaton doesn't make the E-Locker anymore, and the ARB air locker is $1200+ it's seeming that this idea is rapidly loosing steam.
Maybe I'll get lucky and find an E-Locker somewhere? Hard telling.
-------------------------------------------------------------
Also; I've mentioned it a few times before on other threads, and I haven't found anything strictly related to it, so would any fellow 454 owners contribute information if there was a thread strictly for Gen 6 454s? Ever since the big thread on FSC vanished there's been tons of info I've tried to find that I remember seeing, but now I can't find it anywhere.
Just a thought that would help anyone trying to find out about these dinosaurs.

Just curious but what are you doing that you need a front locker? Might be cheaper to ditch your g80 rear and do an elocker back there?

Also I'd be down for a 454 thread, I'd throw in anything useful i can think of.

Biggershaft96

Cant Getrite
Reaction score
Where did you find one for a 8.25ifs? the only 8.25 they seem to make a locker for is the Chrysler 8.25. Keep an eye out for an h2 in your local junk yards. They have front limited slip carriers you could rob and drop in your truck.

BNielsen

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Where did you find one for a 8.25ifs? the only 8.25 they seem to make a locker for is the Chrysler 8.25. Keep an eye out for an h2 in your local junk yards. They have front limited slip carriers you could rob and drop in your truck.

I found an 8.25 on East Coast Gear; I can't find it now but I checked fitment and it said it fit in a Chevy. There's a couple H2s sitting in the weeds around here, I might knock on some doors and ask about some parts.

Just curious but what are you doing that you need a front locker? Might be cheaper to ditch your g80 rear and do an elocker back there?

Also I'd be down for a 454 thread, I'd throw in anything useful i can think of.

I'm planning on a TrueTrac for the rear when I regear everything, mainly I wanted a front locker for when I get in sticky situations and need to crawl out of somewhere.

andy396

GMT400 Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm planning on a TrueTrac for the rear when I regear everything, mainly I wanted a front locker for when I get in sticky situations and need to crawl out of somewhere.

Some food for thought. Chances are if you find yourself where you’re spinning 3 out of 4 wheels, that fourth one isn’t going to help much at all. Maybe consider a winch instead?

Last edited:

Christian Steffen

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I found an 8.25 on East Coast Gear; I can't find it now but I checked fitment and it said it fit in a Chevy. There's a couple H2s sitting in the weeds around here, I might knock on some doors and ask about some parts.

+1 for a winch, or even a set of chains, it is amazing what chains can do in mud or snow. That said, if you are already swapping gears i can see the temptation for a locker.

BNielsen

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I'll just have to weigh my options I guess; I've toyed with the idea of a winch bumper but I like the factory diesel bumper too much.
I might be underestimating a good set of mud terrains and a liberal application of the skinny pedal too.
---------
I went ahead and started the 454 thread, hopefully I started it off correctly?
https://www.gmt400.com/threads/the-official-vortec-454-info-thread.50576/