Boss 338 20x8.5 front 20x10 rear - tire sizes

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
BTW, do you also answer to 'Hey, You!'? Lol!
Huh wut? Whoosh right over my head there...

Just out of curiosity, what spindles are you running on the black truck?
Wish I could tell you but I honestly can't remember. I swapped the whole front suspension from my old white '92 in 2007 and when I did I pulled them with rotors intact so I don't even have a clear picture. A couple years before that I rebuilt the front end on that '92 and did the same thing, pulled with rotors intact, cracked me up to go back and look at the pics and say, dammit I can't see the spindles!

Usually I prefer BellTech for -all- my drop stuff and have bought more sets of BellTech spindles than I can count, but last set I bought - this year - I intentionally got DJM in hopes of avoiding clearance issues. I still haven't had a chance to effectively compare BellTech and DJM to see if the whole .5" thing is BS. Sometimes I think this is more likely due to people comparing clearances on trucks with non-HD vs. HD brakes, where the HD brakes have thicker rotors. Beats me and until someone can do a very specific apples-to-apples comparison with triple-checked measurements, I remain unconvinced. :gr_grin: Those DJM's are currently sitting in the box waiting for my next drop which will probably be the red '97 Suburban.

Richard

Steve's Chevy

OBSLESS
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ya, that's why I asked.. I seen your fronts have 5.25 bs and the ones im looking at only have 4.5"

I was just wondering cause I will be going with the DJM spindles and hoping I could fit it.

thanks.

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
I'm pretty sure you'll find you need both the 5.25" backspacing AND all the help you can get in the spindle department, for this to work. To me, ideal backspacing for an 8.5" wide wheel on a 4" drop or more, is 5.5", so the 338's with 5.25" are marginal already.

Obviously this is still without the info of which spindles are installed, but here's a shot of the 4.75" 338's (remember I had a set on my maroon '94 GMC that I tried out on the black truck too) - not good at all:

You must be registered for see images attach

Here's a shot of those same 4.75" 338's on the maroon truck with a 5" front drop. Mind you this IS with DJM spindles, and 3" BellTech springs. The tires are too tall for the amount of drop but I wanted to see how it would play out with these wheels before I bought tires, and I didn't like it:

You must be registered for see images attach

Richard

Steve's Chevy

OBSLESS
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ok thanks for the pics, im only thinking of doing a 2/4 drop and the wheels are Torq thrust 20x8"-20x10" I have not bought them yet, I don't want to do it twice :nono:

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
Hmmm. DJM spindles for a 2" drop only, 4.75" backspace on an 8.5" wheel, you might be OK as long as you keep your front tire height and width conservative. I wouldn't go any taller/wider than a 255/45/20 like I'm running, and I'd choose my brand/model carefully to get stiff sidewalls and as square a profile as possible. Some tires have a more curved sidewall profile than others, and anything under an XL load rating will probably bulge easier, leading to more likely fender contact.

Richard

Steve's Chevy

OBSLESS
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yes , actually the wheels are only 8" wide with 4.5" bs. I was wanting a 255/50/20 for the front but maybe that might be to much meat.

Owell thanks for the help and sorry to jack your thread :cheers:

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
Hate to even suggest it but you might consider swapping over to non-HD brakes from an early regular cab. That would also dictate you buy the appropriate drop spindles. I would be very reluctant to willingly give up braking power but it might give you the extra clearance you need. Of course I wouldn't make that commitment either without tons of measuring up front to be sure it'll give you the gains you need...and then again, with only 2" front drop, probably not really that much of a factor. I'm always in the mindset of 4" or more drop because to me, 2" is never enough and will just quickly result in "shoulda dropped it more" feelings. :gr_grin:

And by the way you didn't highjack anything; my questions got answered and the wheels/tires are on the truck. No worries!

Richard

Last edited:

Steve's Chevy

OBSLESS
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I might just be better off to keep looking for the right rims with the correct BS.... My problem is most wheels seem to me like they belong Rollin in da hood on a pimp mobile...Just to Shiney.

I do like the wheels you got , but don't think they will work with my color blue:shrug: