4/6 Drop, 18” Wheels - Tire Size

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OBS_Trash

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
I run 18” wheels. To me it keeps the look I want keeping in time. I was in high school in 1996 and 18” was where is was at. I have a 4/6 drop spindles and flip kit, C Notch (the right way) when I bought it the guy had just cut the springs, so I bought a new kit (AZ ProPerformace, Beltech) and notched it myself.

Currently the front is 255/45 and the rear is 285/35

My question - why would I run a taller profile on the front? This was the setup when I bought the truck. Just want to make sure I’m not missing something. It looks like there would not be clearance issues staying with 35 on front and back. (I think it would look cleaner)

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    267.7 KB · Views: 112

618 Syndicate

You won't...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I run 18” wheels. To me it keeps the look I want keeping in time. I was in high school in 1996 and 18” was where is was at. I have a 4/6 drop spindles and flip kit, C Notch (the right way) when I bought it the guy had just cut the springs, so I bought a new kit (AZ ProPerformace, Beltech) and notched it myself.

Currently the front is 255/45 and the rear is 285/35

My question - why would I run a taller profile on the front? This was the setup when I bought the truck. Just want to make sure I’m not missing something. It looks like there would not be clearance issues staying with 35 on front and back. (I think it would look cleaner)
The profile number is a % of width, so a larger number doesn't necessarily mean a taller sidewall.
Well Tire store says a 35 profile will not support the weight of the 1500. That explains the higher profile in front.
That's not true. I would find a different tire store.

OBS_Trash

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks for the replies, Here is where I landed.

I stuck with the 285/35 on the rear (Looks Clean), Landed on 245/45 on front. Ever since i added drop spindles and replaced the control arms with factory (Should have gone Tubular, but i replaced every suspension component with factory replacement) the wheels rub when turning. With the new tires it almost went away, i still need to take some metal off the lip of the CA's to get 100% turnability with no rub. It still sits great and Drives better in my opinion.

RShrimp

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
I went 275/35-18 in the rear on 10 inch rims and 235/40-18 in the front on 8 inch rims and a McNaughtys 2-4 drop. They are very close to the same diameter. I like the look of the Riken Raptors and that was the biggest (diameter) 18 they make. I had the same weight rating issue with Tire Rack. The tires I bought are rated at 1521 lbs each. I had a real hard time finding the correct axle weight ratings for a 1990 (and so did they because they ask me what they were and I just made something up which was actually really close to reality as I found out later) My 1990 C1500 Single cab short bed has a GWR of 5600lbs
Front is 2950 and rear is 3404. So a 1521lb tire on the front would be within spec. While the rear would be slightly out of spec, I do not haul anything ever.