Boosted 454, Procharger or turbo?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Christian Steffen

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Your better off to buy a crate LSX and turbo it if your really after 1000hp, E85 and 20lbs of boost should get you there. We have a car in our shop now (corvette) with LSX with 78mm turbo on E85 running on 20lbs of boost it laid down 863hp to the tires. I don't know how healthy your budget is for making this 1000hp but to have a reliable 1000hp vehicle is going to take at least 15K and that's if your doing most the work yourself.

This is very true; a reliable and street-able 1000 hp is no small or cheap task.

kwslvdo96

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I had a friend that bought a used whipple for his 454 Vortec and he did a cam, some light head work,bigger injectors, and added another fuel pump. He also sent the whipple out and had the snout upgraded and he ran 14lbs of boost and 98octane and that truck laid down 445hp to the wheels and a little over 500lbs of torque. It wasn't 1000hp but the bottom end torque was unbelievable!

Christian Steffen

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Honestly, 500 or 600 hp would probably be more than enough to have a **** load of fun. I knew a guy with a 2003 extended cab 1500 running a 408 ls with nitrous that made pretty close to 500 whp without the nitrous, and from a stop the power was unusable with reasonably sized tires.

Christian Steffen

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I had a friend that bought a used whipple for his 454 Vortec and he did a cam, some light head work,bigger injectors, and added another fuel pump. He also sent the whipple out and had the snout upgraded and he ran 14lbs of boost and 98octane and that truck laid down 445hp to the wheels and a little over 500lbs of torque. It wasn't 1000hp but the bottom end torque was unbelievable!

This sounds like a fun build.

RDF1

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I would definitely look at some type of LS swap. It depends on where you want that 1000hp too. We did a stock 4.8 (with a cam and good lifters) in a Nova last year with twin 71mm BW turbos and it made 1175hp to the tire but we were spinning it to the moon.

Ive made 440rwhp/540rwtq on a Stock 6.0/4L80E and a rear mount turbo but it was done at 5000 rpms from stock cam/springs and tiny 60mm turbo. Low end Torque was awesome for towing tho.
It wasnt nothing to smoke the tires pulling a 8000# trailer loaded level and thats with a stock 4L80E Converter, 3.42 gears and a pretty soft 31" Toyo tire.

Buddy i got cams from has a stock 6.0 with a Turbo cam and a S480 turbo that made 1075? to the tire and ran the crap out of it for 5 or 6 years towing and all kinda stupid stuff.

If you want the HP/TQ low in the rpms then yea a big block with the right turbos would be silly.
But then again you can do a 454 LSX with a roots and be about the same power band with gobs of low end torque.

Whats the budget? ha i think it just got serious.

Jaredpear

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I wanna go with a blueprint motors crate using one of they’re custom blocks and full forged internals. But that’s when either 1. My motor takes a turd 2. When I have the funds, whichever comes first. I’m drifting away from the Procharger cause after thinking about it for awhile. I’m not that big of a fan of top end power, I like power in the low rev range, hence why I bought a big block. I’d love a turbo but the fabrication is what puts me off of it. So I’ve been researching and thinking about an 8-71 or 10-71 roots blower using Whipples fuel injected manifold and some water/meth injection, maybe once I get done with the sas I’ll start hoarding parts for that. There really isn’t a budget since I’ll buy parts piece by piece when funds allow, but then again I’m trying not to spend a ridiculous amount of money.

run96k3500

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I wonder if that's because you have the 1.6 whipple? Probably doesn't run much boost? Tuning would probably make a difference too, if it hasn't been tuned.

Not arguing a diesel swap, I love diesels, but there's no reason a boosted 454 shouldn't be impressive, might just be that a small whipple is unimpressive.
My truck has a custom tune from westers garage in Canada. Larger injectors and an msd ignition system. There are no piggyback tunes and I’m running about 8lbs of boost. It would be great to have a 2.3l whipple but ultimately $ per power, your not gonna beat a diesel and it’s gonna get better fuel mileage.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jaredpear

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Honestly I’ve driven a couple diesels in my life, my brothers modified 12 valve Cummins and one of my old buddy’s 24valve Cummins, there great don’t get me wrong but I don’t want one. I love my big block, best purchase I ever made was this truck. I’d like to keep the original combo of a bbc and the 4l80. Big blocks can make a sh*t load of power pretty damn easy, and not too pricey. I don’t wanna go through all the trouble of changing nearly everything get a diesel to work in here when for the same amount of money I could have a big block that produces more torque.

Christian Steffen

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
My truck has a custom tune from westers garage in Canada. Larger injectors and an msd ignition system. There are no piggyback tunes and I’m running about 8lbs of boost. It would be great to have a 2.3l whipple but ultimately $ per power, your not gonna beat a diesel and it’s gonna get better fuel mileage.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Well it sounds like it is at least done as well as it can be for a 1.6. I suppose the impressive vs unimpressive comes down to what you compare it to. Compared to a stock 454, i bet its damn impressive; compared to a tuned duramax, it's probably a dog. haha

Christian Steffen

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I would definitely look at some type of LS swap. It depends on where you want that 1000hp too. We did a stock 4.8 (with a cam and good lifters) in a Nova last year with twin 71mm BW turbos and it made 1175hp to the tire but we were spinning it to the moon.

Ive made 440rwhp/540rwtq on a Stock 6.0/4L80E and a rear mount turbo but it was done at 5000 rpms from stock cam/springs and tiny 60mm turbo. Low end Torque was awesome for towing tho.
It wasnt nothing to smoke the tires pulling a 8000# trailer loaded level and thats with a stock 4L80E Converter, 3.42 gears and a pretty soft 31" Toyo tire.

Buddy i got cams from has a stock 6.0 with a Turbo cam and a S480 turbo that made 1075? to the tire and ran the crap out of it for 5 or 6 years towing and all kinda stupid stuff.

If you want the HP/TQ low in the rpms then yea a big block with the right turbos would be silly.
But then again you can do a 454 LSX with a roots and be about the same power band with gobs of low end torque.

Whats the budget? ha i think it just got serious.

Do you have any pics of this rear mount turbo? I'm jealous of it. Really just curious to see where you put the turbo.