Body/Box Alignment

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

wiscomick

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Truck is a 97 C2500 6 Lug. Check out the pic below. Bed is firmly bolted to the frame. Body mounts aren't sagging, as I replaced the cab mounts and repaired the rusty cab mount brackets over the winter. Any rusted bed crossmembers were repaired last year.

The body lines now match up, but the 'planes' of the lines between the box and cab are still not straight. Truck still has a very noticeable 'dip' where the cab and box meet. The gap is tighter between the cab and the box at the top than it is at the bottom.

Any ideas here? Do these frames sag over time? I've seen other trucks that were worse, and others that were better, so I can't really say what the issue is here, but it drives me nuts and I can't see a way to repair it.

Thoughts?
You must be registered for see images attach
You must be registered for see images attach

wiscomick

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
If I'd shim it level I'd have to shim basically every mounting point except the radiator support and the rearmost bed crossmember. Doesn't seem like the greatest idea. Idk. Has me stumped.

HotrodZ06

GMT400 Collector
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You could try to use a staight edge or maybe a level on the frame and see if it is sagged.

wiscomick

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I'm sure there's some sort of way to measure if it is indeed bent or sagged, but I think that would involve more tools or knowledge than a level. Not sure man.

Erik the Awful

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'd double check the back end and make sure something isn't shimming it up.