Blueprint 383 short block and CA smog

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jrsroadhauze

Reaction score
You must be registered for see images attach
Just make sure the cat is CARB compliant. The smog place will check that convertor for the CARB numbers. If it isn't they will fail you on the spot. They will also disconnect your distributor from the ECM and verify that your timing is at zero. The distributor when disconnected becomes a stand alone. Good luck and hope you pass smog.

CHEVYS4ME

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
My machinist said a 383 won't pass Kalifornika smog. For certain, don't let the smog check know it's a stroker, they'll fail you outright!
Good luck, I hope it passes.

Of course, it's not legal for polution controlled vehicles at all in Ca, so I surely wouldn't tell smog tech. You have to state when purchasing it won't be used on public roads. Know anything about adding a 2nd cat, when only 1 is required?

CHEVYS4ME

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I just found out, it is NOT legal to add a 2nd catalytic converter after oem converter on obdI. On obdII, it is legal.

A friend of mine has a friend who is a B.A.R. referee.

So, I will just run my oem converter and hope for the best. If it fails, I'll deal with it then. I don't see any reason it won't pass, just don't want any problems registering it in my name.

Finally cooling off a little here in Northern, CA. Going to start 383 engine swap tonight...

Stuckinkali

Reaction score
I just found out, it is NOT legal to add a 2nd catalytic converter after oem converter on obdI. On obdII, it is legal.

A friend of mine has a friend who is a B.A.R. referee.

So, I will just run my oem converter and hope for the best. If it fails, I'll deal with it then. I don't see any reason it won't pass, just don't want any problems registering it in my name.

Finally cooling off a little here in Northern, CA. Going to start 383 engine swap tonight...

I have a '94 C1500 (350 with TBI) and before I go smog every two years (here in Suckramento), I put about 5 gallons of E85 in the tank then top it off with 10 gallons of reg 87 octane gas, drive it for about a half hour at speed and then smog it. Blows cleaner than my Lexus! You could have a huge cam with massive overlap and duration and as long as the CEL isn't glowing on the dash, you're golden. Never failed a single test, Star station or not. As long as all your components are CARB EO or CARB Compliant and you pass visual (as was stated above DO NOT TELL THEM YOU HAVE A STROKER), you should have zero issues.

Good luck! Oh, and the E85 won't kill anything if you only use it from smog once in a great while. CA already has some of the highest alcohol content in our gas across the nation so...

~Andy

Reaction score
This is exactly what I needed! Plus I could not figure out where to hook up the red, black, and green wires that plug into USB cable. I seen hole in ECU and thought they plugged into ECU somewhere. Now I realize they hook into wire side of larger ECU connector. It all makes sense now.

You guys are awesome!

It's super hot right now, but I'm going to try to get it installed today.

After going through help files, tutorials, and browsing through tables, I should be able to get started self tuning. I'm sure I'll need some help at some point.

There are some really nice features I will be taking advantage of for sure. Here are a few I will def be improvising...

-Raise idle switch
-Shift Light LED
-Lean Cruise
-Fuel cut on decel
-iat sensor support
-Multiple custom tunes

It will be easy to tune this injector pod too...

How has that injector pod worked out for you if you already have everything set up I order the same one and wondering how it works compared to a normal TBI unit

CHEVYS4ME

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I finally have truck together. I have been fighting health issues I was diagnosed with Medullary Thyroid Cancer in 2018. 2 surgeries, it's back again and next surgery is scheduled for Dec 1st 2021. I REALLY want to get this truck on the road before my surgery. If ANYONE is close to me and could help me get this thing running, I could pay for you're time. The problem is 1) I don't know what I'm doing 2) Unless my fuel pressure is maxed out at 60 psi, I can't get it to idle. It's WAY too lean. I have a wb o2 but have not hooked it up to the ebl yet. I set my ve tables by the calculator, no change. I am really stressed and am having a hard time understanding and keeping focus. Maybe I'm doing something wrong??? I'm using v5 of TunerPro.
I have timing and base idle set already.

Anyway, hope someone reads this and can get my truck running!

Last edited:
Reaction score
I finally have truck together. I have been fighting health issues I was diagnosed with Medullary Thyroid Cancer in 2018. 2 surgeries, it's back again and next surgery is scheduled for Dec 1st 2021. I REALLY want to get this truck on the road before my surgery. If ANYONE is close to me and could help me get this thing running, I could pay for you're time. The problem is 1) I don't know what I'm doing 2) Unless my fuel pressure is maxed out at 60 psi, I can't get it to idle. It's WAY too lean. I have a wb o2 but have not hooked it up to the ebl yet. I set my ve tables by the calculator, no change. I am really stressed and am having a hard time understanding and keeping focus. Maybe I'm doing something wrong??? I'm using v5 of TunerPro.
I have timing and base idle set already.

Anyway, hope someone reads this and can get my truck running!
Where are you located at?