Blueprint 383 short block and CA smog

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

CHEVYS4ME

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I ended up getting the Blueprint 383 short block. Part # bp3834

After 2 damaged in UPS Feight shipping ATK 355 short blocks, I decided to go wit a different company. Summit Racing worked with me through the whole LONG process. After over 6 weeks, I finally have an undamaged 383.

ATK uses cheap wood, and under sized, non standard pallet type bottom. First one came completely out of crate, and was rolloing around on trailer floor. 2nd one broke through bottom, and crank snout was resting on wood across the united states.

My question is, how bad is it going to run on stock tune with increased fuel pressure, and a vrfpr? Will it be enough to pass CA emissions untill I can tune it?

Im running shorty truck headers, vrfpr, vortec fuel pump, summit racing aluminum cylinder heads, edelbrock 2102 cam, edelbrock tbi manifold...

Any thoughts, or advise?

PlayingWithTBI

2022 Truck of the Year
Supporting Member
Reaction score
IIRC the hardest part is to pass NOx, what cat do you have, and, of course, your EGR will be working properly, right? Otherwise your fuel trims need to be ~14.7

CHEVYS4ME

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That's the converter I'll be using for smog. Yep, egr required, so it will be hooked up and functioning. for smog...

I'll add my wb02 to make sure I'm not too lean, and adjust fuel pressure best I can. I will be at 9.5:1 compression, so I'm hoping Knox won't be too bad...

The gm crate engine shows 9.5:1 compression, and it states it's 50 state legal. I know OEM I'm only at 8.25:1

L31MaxExpress

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
That's the converter I'll be using for smog. Yep, egr required, so it will be hooked up and functioning. for smog...

I'll add my wb02 to make sure I'm not too lean, and adjust fuel pressure best I can. I will be at 9.5:1 compression, so I'm hoping Knox won't be too bad...

The gm crate engine shows 9.5:1 compression, and it states it's 50 state legal. I know OEM I'm only at 8.25:1
TBI truck engines came with two compression ratios. 9.3 in all the light duty stuff. 8.75 in the 8 lug stuff.

CHEVYS4ME

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You must be registered for see images attach
TBI truck engines came with two compression ratios. 9.3 in all the light duty stuff. 8.75 in the 8 lug stuff.

It's 8.3:1 in light duty trucks, at least the 1992 C1500 5.7L 2wd is... my 92 5.7l 2wd is stock at 8.3:1 Most just call it 8.25:1

The gm replacement engine which states is 50 state smog legal, has 9.4:1. My setup comes in right at 9.51:1

I'm thinking it will be fine unless the 383 has different effect on final measured output?

Anyone know how it's going to run on stock ecu, raised fuel pressure, and vacuum reference fuel pressure regulator?

Am I going to be able to break it in safely, and smog it, or am I going to need to install my EBL Flash II ecu, and tune it first?

Blueprint recommends 14 degrees base timing, and Max 34 degrees total timing. I can run 14 for break in, but for smog I will need to put it at zero. If I fudge the timing mark to look like 14 degrees is zero, will that help with emmision levels out tailpipe?

Any info, advice, or thoughts are greatly appreciated!

CHEVYS4ME

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Packed REALLY well compared to ATK.

Not a bit of dirt at all...

CHEVYS4ME

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Here's the 2nd ATK short block. This was much better than the first one!

L31MaxExpress

I'm Awesome
Reaction score

It's 8.3:1 in light duty trucks, at least the 1992 C1500 5.7L 2wd is... my 92 5.7l 2wd is stock at 8.3:1 Most just call it 8.25:1

The gm replacement engine which states is 50 state smog legal, has 9.4:1. My setup comes in right at 9.51:1

I'm thinking it will be fine unless the 383 has different effect on final measured output?

Anyone know how it's going to run on stock ecu, raised fuel pressure, and vacuum reference fuel pressure regulator?

Am I going to be able to break it in safely, and smog it, or am I going to need to install my EBL Flash II ecu, and tune it first?

Blueprint recommends 14 degrees base timing, and Max 34 degrees total timing. I can run 14 for break in, but for smog I will need to put it at zero. If I fudge the timing mark to look like 14 degrees is zero, will that help with emmision levels out tailpipe?

Any info, advice, or thoughts are greatly appreciated!

Its not an 8.3:1 not that it matters on your build now but someone working on one in the future may read the false information. I have measured the components and calculated the compression ratio on more than one. The pistons are 12cc dished, usually sitting 0.025" down the bore and GM used a 0.028" thick head gasket. The swirl ports are all about 65cc.