blue bus solid axle adventure

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

the big blue bus

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
ah well crap ill have to loosen all of the bod mounts again and do that but im going to start on pullin tranny out tomorrow and i got the socket for axle nut so im going to pull spindles off tomorrow during my lunch break

heres the t case. outa a 91 k5 what the guy told me
You must be registered for see images attach

cleaning it off. it was nasty forgot to take a before picture

Last edited:

outalne94z71

Bouncing Truck Maker
Reaction score
Hey I don't want to derail, but what is involved in swapping the transfer cases?

as long as they are the same spline count it bolts right on then you need to deal with shifting in 1 of 3 ways

1 use pre 88 shifter in a gmt 400 floor
2 make a cable attachment from stock shifter to new t-case arm to make it cable operated
3 use the gmt 400 shifter and rod but make linkage to mount from driverside of case that then crosses over the case to move the arm on the pass side

the big blue bus

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
yeah what he said^ lenght wise they are the same from what i emasured today. not sure if i should stay with chevy axle or go to a ford. buddy down in va beach says they got 78 f250 dana 44s and that would be a lot easier since to swap t case the exahust needs to be totaly redone and linkage figured out. i want to keep my 35s on 15s but to do that ill have to go through all the work to do chevy axle. if i get ford axle ill get a 14ff rear and save up and get 8 lug 16 inch black classic lock wheels. which way would yall think would be better

spindles off. as far as ive gotten axle down

what it looks liek under. if i swap t case you can see all the stuff in the way.

outalne94z71

Bouncing Truck Maker
Reaction score
you can use the ford axle but swap on the chevy outer parts, y-pipe has to be modified for the driveshaft either way you go

the big blue bus

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
goingj to stay with what ive got. did you have to clock your t case? one build i saw said he did but no pics another build on here he modded the crossmember. tomorrow going to yard and getting rear springs and hangers off a k5. going to cut the parts off the frame and cut riven heads off at work. should i get the k5 front d shft too?

side note my buddy found obs limited in yard so trying to get him to get me the cluster and fog lights for my diesel bumper. he may be gettin consoles too idk

outalne94z71

Bouncing Truck Maker
Reaction score
goingj to stay with what ive got. did you have to clock your t case? one build i saw said he did but no pics another build on here he modded the crossmember. tomorrow going to yard and getting rear springs and hangers off a k5. going to cut the parts off the frame and cut riven heads off at work. should i get the k5 front d shft too?

side note my buddy found obs limited in yard so trying to get him to get me the cluster and fog lights for my diesel bumper. he may be gettin consoles too idk

on my 94 the 241 was in the stock clocking but i used a 74 f100 high pinion dana 44 front and bolted on 76 chevy outers and used a 84 k1500 front driveshaft with the stops ground down in the double cardan
my 88 has a 2wd th400 with a ford divorced 205 and a 78 ford dana 60 with chevy outers ground to fit 15" wheels, with the divorced setup i have really nice driveshaft angles

the big blue bus

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
ah crap that doesnt help lol.

picked up c1500 rear springs today with shackles and front u bolt plates off a k5 and my bumper bracket for 56 bucks. only charged me for the springs not bumper bracket or u bolt plates or shackles. i put the u bolt plates over springs maybe thats why haha. but added more parts to the collection now. i really need to find a set of flat tops and do more work to the axle and clean all the parts up

so found a set for 110 on pirate

Last edited: