Blew the 400 up

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Spareparts

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I grew up with carbs and love a properly tuned Quadrajet. Im a old dog and i don't wanna learn new tricks if i don't have to.
Im paying BlackBear to tune my current truck but i'll tell ya as soon as i get the stuff gathered up i'll be carb swapping.
I don't mind pumping the throttle a couple times in the morning. I don't mind adjusting the choke in the fall/spring. Gas mileage will be so close to the same it will not matter and im not driving a 454 suburban for mileage anyway. I always let my trucks warm up a good 5 minutes in the summer or even 20 minutes in the winter cuz well he!! it's cold outside and a warm car is just better.
EFI guys will for the most part always bash carbs and carb guys will almost always say carbs are as good as EFI. Truth is they both get the job done and either properly tuned work just fine.

L31MaxExpress

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Carbs get a bad rap here and I usually stay out of those debates because it really depends on the end user. EFI usually goes to the guys that want to fine tune every detail of the engine and carbs go to the guys who want to bolt on something reliable that will get the job done for cheap. Nothing wrong with either approach.

Carbs are dead simple and EFI are endlessly tunable... pick your poison.

This is all when considering a modified setup, if the engine is factory stock then just stick with the factory EFI.
I love the fact that I can put Gasoline or E85 in the tank and the engine runs well. 104 octane is nice from a fuel that is more economical to run on than 87 octane.

PlayingWithTBI

2022 Truck of the Year
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I grew up with carbs and love a properly tuned Quadrajet. Im a old dog and i don't wanna learn new tricks if i don't have to.
I'm old too, my 1st quadrajet was on my 63 Chevy 283 in '72. I guess it's a personal opinion - I'm lazy and can't bend over the hood to tweek stuff. I'd rather sit in my bucket seat and "tune", quicker and with better results, ha ha.

L31MaxExpress

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I'm old too, my 1st quadrajet was on my 63 Chevy 283 in '72. I guess it's a personal opinion - I'm lazy and can't bend over the hood to tweek stuff. I'd rather sit in my bucket seat and "tune", quicker and with better results, ha ha.
Same thing here. Nice to not have to drag an engine cover off a van with a carb to play with the choke or other bits.

Deadman walking

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
I am curious to hear how your carb works out.

When I first bought my truck I too wanted to carb swap. I ended up sticking with the vortec efi and bought new injectors for about what a new carb would have cost. I did have one (no start) failure while pulling a camper across Texas - if it had been carb/hei swapped, I could have fixed it quickly myself. Part of me wonders what a carb would have been like.

Most here will tell you to stick with the efi. I have noticed though - most of the people that swear efi is better and talk about how easy it is to tune, they are always changing it. It's like they never quite get there. Sounds about the same as a carb to me haha.
Yep. Sounds about right. I just don't think a TBI is worth my time anymore. It would cost a small fortune to get that where I want it. I bought the q jet and calibration kit and all the parts I need for less than 100 dollars. I'll do me and y'all do y'all.

Erik the Awful

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
carbs go to the guys who want to bolt on something reliable that will get the job done for cheap
Sounds like somebody who's never had the accelerator pump horn break off their quadrajet and stick the throttle wide open. I've broken as many carburetors as I have EFI systems.

I've also drilled my own jets, so I understand the idea that I don't have to buy factory-made parts to keep a carb running.

Please don't get offended, this is my opinion. EFI are a superior technology to carbs. The only reason carbs are still around is that the venturi effect drops intake temps a few degrees, giving carbs a power advantage that almost makes up for their tuning inaccuracy.

Deadman walking

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Decided to paint the motor today. Was going for red but it came out Corvette orange.

Attachments

• IMG_20221209_112950.jpg
    IMG_20221209_112950.jpg
    248.8 KB · Views: 25
  • IMG_20221209_112936.jpg
    IMG_20221209_112936.jpg
    279.4 KB · Views: 24