Big cam causing misfires??? 490/490 w/1.6 RA

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

L31MaxExpress

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I’m not looking to rebuild this set up. Just had it sitting and wanted to throw it and have some fun. Long term plan is LS for this hunk anyway. This motor will eventually end up in the LUV. Just trying to get advice to tame it and get a decent tune to cruise around town and have a little fun on the weekends. I have a 2800 stall in storage if I need to bump it up but for now I’m focusing on getting the motor running right.
It won't run right until you get a stall converter in it, IMO. Higher stall speed puts less load on the engine at idle and allows you to idle up around 850 like that cam will want to idle at.

Reaction score
It won't run right until you get a stall converter in it, IMO. Higher stall speed puts less load on the engine at idle and allows you to idle up around 850 like that cam will want to idle at.

Right, I see what you mean. It ran great at 750 idle before but with all things considered I will probably bump it up for the first tune. Maybe while it’s in the mail I’ll throw the big stall in it. I’m still gathering things and sorting through storage right now. I’m just excited to get this thing running with any power at all

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
Simply bumping idle speed to where it wants to be may try shoving you through a stop sign in addition to the low stall making life miserable in general. As previously stated, the tune should not be an issue as the PCM is capable of it. It's just a matter of the setup being mismatched and either mitigating or accepting it.

CrustyJunker

Is STILL Here?
Reaction score
Apples to oranges, I have another truck that had an 850 target idle on a stock converter (probably around 2000 stall in that application, GMT400's are lower). It didn't push through stop signs, but cold - it would definitely hustle down a driveway without touching the gas! After it was warm it would calm down. It has since been retuned.

If I could recommend...I'd vouch put your 2800 converter in if it fits (it's free minus the cost of fluid). I know it's easier said than done by folks on the internet, but might save you re-tuning later and I think the truck will really rip.

Bumping up idle for your initial tune might not be so bad, at least until you/your tuner get your AE ironed out. That'll probably change if you swap converters later though.

Reaction score
Apples to oranges, I have another truck that had an 850 target idle on a stock converter (probably around 2000 stall in that application, GMT400's are lower). It didn't push through stop signs, but cold - it would definitely hustle down a driveway without touching the gas! After it was warm it would calm down. It has since been retuned.

If I could recommend...I'd vouch put your 2800 converter in if it fits (it's free minus the cost of fluid). I know it's easier said than done by folks on the internet, but might save you re-tuning later and I think the truck will really rip.

Bumping up idle for your initial tune might not be so bad, at least until you/your tuner get your AE ironed out. That'll probably change if you swap converters later though.

my thoughts as well. It’s just sitting in storage and I have the tools necessary to throw it in. It came out of a 700r4 which is basically the same transmission as the 4l60e so it should work. The stall converter that is