Big 3 and Dual Battery Kits

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Caman96

OEM Baby!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Anyone know how long the original ground strap from frame to block is?

Caman96

OEM Baby!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Can someone explain how this ground strap installs? Red line is original from frame, goes down a bit and under exhaust manifold, then goes up through a metal tube/wire manager and exits going up and bolting to head. The new 10 1/2” black ground strap is seen in picture and clearly doesn’t have the necessary length.
You must be registered for see images attach

Last edited:

PlayingWithTBI

2022 Truck of the Year
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The new 10 1/2” black ground strap is seen in picture and clearly doesn’t have the necessary length.
Mine may be different since it's an 88 but, the ground strap goes from the back of the head to a bolt in the firewall just below the A/C Accumulator. The only wires going down through that stupid tube are for the "S" terminal on the starter, knock sensor, and the main positive from the battery to the distribution block on the firewall.

You can kinda see it here, there was never a ground strap there.

The ground strap from the battery goes to the front of the engine, then another goes to the frame. You can see the 2 here. HTH

Caman96

OEM Baby!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Mine may be different since it's an 88 but, the ground strap goes from the back of the head to a bolt in the firewall just below the A/C Accumulator. The only wires going down through that stupid tube are for the "S" terminal on the starter, knock sensor, and the main positive from the battery to the distribution block on the firewall.

You can kinda see it here, there was never a ground strap there.

The ground strap from the battery goes to the front of the engine, then another goes to the frame. You can see the 2 here. HTH
Looking at my picture above the originals are still there. One ground strap goes from bolt bolt under heater hoses straight down to frame. The other strap(highlighted red) goes from frame, follows route I described to head/motor. Probably is different for an 88. Mine are original and with 46k on it when I got it I’m sure is still original. Picture below show both “from” frame.

PlayingWithTBI

2022 Truck of the Year
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Picture below show both “from” frame.
Yeah, that's the difference there. Yours is just taking a detour to the frame. Maybe get a longer one for the head to the frame and use the 10" one for the frame to firewall?

caw_86

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Can someone explain how this ground strap installs? Red line is original from frame, goes down a bit and under exhaust manifold, then goes up through a metal tube/wire manager and exits going up and bolting to head. The new 10 1/2” black ground strap is seen in picture and clearly doesn’t have the necessary length.
that one goes on the front of block to frame i believe, it fit anyway, i dont think it comes with one for back of block

Caman96

OEM Baby!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The kit come with the frame to firewall. It also comes with strap for frame to motor, it’s just too short. I wonder if there’s a TBI kit and a Vortec kit. :shrug:

caw_86

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The kit come with the frame to firewall. It also comes with strap for frame to motor, it’s just too short. I wonder if there’s a TBI kit and a Vortec kit. :shrug:
ill take some pictures of mine when i get home, i put that one on the front of the block to the frame