Big 3 and Dual Battery Kits

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Caman96

OEM Baby!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I interpreted that location to be a Frame to body ground for the new cable. I left the frame to head connection and replaced the frame to body.

My engine block to frame connection is done up front by the water pump. Honestly at the time I didn't think about the difference between engine block and engine head grounds but it doesn't seem to hinder the operation of the truck doing it this way.

You must be registered for see images attach
What year is your truck?
So, you didn’t replace the rear Head to frame?
Like I posted above, lots of different opinions. You say yours “seems” to run fine. Did you read @thinger2 post I quoted above? He “may” be right. Given all that, it “is” reasonable to match what is original.

Caman96

OEM Baby!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
For the record, I am more than satisfied with this kit. I was only looking for clarification on where that 3rd ground wire installed. I will replace the head to frame ground strap with another replacement.

mn_ski

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
What year is your truck?
So, you didn’t replace the rear Head to frame?
Like I posted above, lots of different opinions. You say yours “seems” to run fine. Did you read @thinger2 post I quoted above? He “may” be right. Given all that, it “is” reasonable to match what is original
Mine is a 98. Yes I kept the original going from frame to head bolt. You can see it still there in the picture I posted. The same bolt on the frame side also had a wire going to body. That is the cable I replaced.

And by "seems to be running fine", I meant that it runs great. Cranks faster, has great voltage when running and my headlights don't dim anymore when the ABS is doing it's thing. Other than that I have no other way to know that doing what I did isn't fine.

shovelbill

Oh, the horror...
Reaction score
I interpreted that location to be a Frame to body ground for the new cable. I left the frame to head connection and replaced the frame to body.

My engine block to frame connection is done up front by the water pump. Honestly at the time I didn't think about the difference between engine block and engine head grounds but it doesn't seem to hinder the operation of the truck doing it this way.

I have found dielectric grease to be my friend...

During the mock-up, I added this ground boss to the frame for a good purchase through the frame. Our antiquated systems are grounded through the starting system and the engine mounts. It's also more convenient than running all the peripheral grounds to the battery.

Last edited:

Caman96

OEM Baby!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Mine is a 98. Yes I kept the original going from frame to head bolt. You can see it still there in the picture I posted. The same bolt on the frame side also had a wire going to body. That is the cable I replaced.

And by "seems to be running fine", I meant that it runs great. Cranks faster, has great voltage when running and my headlights don't dim anymore when the ABS is doing it's thing. Other than that I have no other way to know that doing what I did isn't fine.
It probably is fine, I guess I’ll just feel better with original replaced. +1 on dielectric grease too.

mn_ski

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
It probably is fine, I guess I’ll just feel better with original replaced. +1 on dielectric grease too.
Hopefully this doesn't sound argumentative, because I am not disagreeing with you in any way. If you want to replace the cable from frame to head bolt you would have to source that cable yourself, right? I don't believe the kit supplied has a cable to make that connection...I could be wrong though.

Caman96

OEM Baby!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hopefully this doesn't sound argumentative, because I am not disagreeing with you in any way. If you want to replace the cable from frame to head bolt you would have to source that cable yourself, right? I don't believe the kit supplied has a cable to make that connection...I could be wrong though.
Yes, I have already ordered one that’s an upgrade.

Caman96

OEM Baby!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Final piece installed (after @5vortec7 hooked me up with a custom sized cable), a battery disconnect. No more disconnecting cable from battery for maintenance. This is really a great Kit to install.

modernbeat

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Has anyone heard from 5vortec7 lately.
I contacted him for a standard Big-3 kit and he said he'd send me an invoice, but never received it.
I've sent a couple messages, weeks apart, and still haven't gotten a response.
He set an expectation on a moderate wait for the kit after the invoice is paid, but not getting the invoice or any response from him is worrying.