Better handling

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Horns

Tiff's Wedding Crasher
Reaction score
But is there anything better than stock? Like upgraded control arms? stiffer sway bars? Rear sway bars? or is it just basically replace worn out parts to go back to factory ride?

Well, what do you consider a better ride? Do you want Autocross style feel, or do you want a Caddy style ride?

TrailBlazerZ71

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Like was mentioned before, I would replace all the wear parts first (bushings, mounts, etc...) with polyurethane parts. Then I would put new shocks on it (Bilstein 5100s or something similar). There are several options for upgrade sway bars. I know Hellwig and Addco sell them for both front and rear. For control arms, Moog sells replacement uppers. R Series, I believe is what they're called. Also, I'd look at installing a steering stabilizer; Rancho and Rough Country both sell kits for our trucks. Traction bars are also an option, if you have axle wrap issues (I never did in my '98 Z71). I would also look at upgrading the factory steering box to a Redhead or AGR box. And look at upgrading your steering components. You can order custom tie rods to strengthen that weak spot, and Cognito sells pitman arm and idler arm braces, as well as an upgraded idler pivot assembly. Moog sells greasable pitman and idler arms as well. Also, don't forget about the most basic thing: shoes. Are your tires in decent shape? This can make a very big difference in ride and handling.

Sent from my Vortec-powered Droid Turbo using Tapatalk

Horns

Tiff's Wedding Crasher
Reaction score
better handling over stock.

So you want it to handle better rather than have it ride better.

If that's the case, poly bushings are the way to need to go. Replace all the rubbers, including the motor mounts and trans mount with poly units. Adjustable shocks is another good place to look.

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Beware, if you do switch to polyurethane bushings they're going to be squeaky even when lubed properly. I considered it but ended up staying with rubber ones at the advice of my mechanic. I'm sure they do their job just fine but I didn't feel like a marginal improvement in handling was worth constant squeaking.

What?

Reaction score
Rear sway bar

Replace bushings for new ones.

Stiffer shock, Bilstein, KYB

Lowering suspension.

Shorter side wall, wider tread tires.

If you're able to afford, coilovers, built suspension.

Last edited:

michael hurd

Stalker be gone.
Reaction score
To the OP, you do realize it will never handle like a 2800 pound car, correct? I have no idea if you can still obtain lowering keys for the torsion bars, but you might try eBay. Slightly lowering the truck will help some, but it's still a heavy pig.

Leaf spring eye bushings are likely toast as well, if they haven't been replaced recently.

GMRedline

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Just found these control arms by moog. Seems that these will accept the OE size ball joints if yours were to go bad in the future so I think I will going with these and then the poly bushings.

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/mog-rk620719

One of the reviews says to replace the ball joint with a Moog Problem Solver before installing the CA. The one used in the assembly must not be that great.