Better gas mileage and performance.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

boy&hisdogs

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Along the same lines as "Keep your foot out of it" keep in mind that wind resistance goes up exponentially with speed. Meaning, a small increase in speed is a much larger increase in wind resistance, meaning the truck is working way harder at 75 vs 65 vs 60.

You must be registered for see images attach

This is something I've had to be more mindful of now that I'm lifted. Driven carefully I'm now getting 12 mpg where I was getting 16 stock. The truck is a 98 K1500 with a 5 7/auto. Now it has a 6" lift, 37s and 4.88s... and sloppy steering, so I drive a little slower anyway.

GrimsterGMC

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Along the same lines as "Keep your foot out of it" keep in mind that wind resistance goes up exponentially with speed. Meaning, a small increase in speed is a much larger increase in wind resistance, meaning the truck is working way harder at 75 vs 65 vs 60.

You must be registered for see images attach

This is something I've had to be more mindful of now that I'm lifted. Driven carefully I'm now getting 12 mpg where I was getting 16 stock. The truck is a 98 K1500 with a 5 7/auto. Now it has a 6" lift, 37s and 4.88s... and sloppy steering, so I drive a little slower anyway.
I also like using the cruise control as it keeps the throttle corrections minimal. Otherwise I would let it slow down the have to pick it up again a lot more aggressively than the cruise control can.

GrimsterGMC

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yeah, I see you recently joined another forum asking about the EBL :deal:
Yes, that is an excellent resource. I am just getting started and as I am a bit dyslexic and, while I understand the principles, I am having touble remembering all of the terminology so just taking my time but the EBL Flash II is a great ECU.

PlayingWithTBI

2022 Truck of the Year
Supporting Member
Reaction score

2drXmobb

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
We filled up Rawhide yesterday...gas has gone down a little bit here, so I thought, I'll use mid grade 89 octane again. Checked the mileage after filling up and guess what? This truck went from 10.5 to 13.85! So I think that's worth 40¢ a gallon....
Nice that's a dramatic increase when I go 70mph I noticed I went down .75 - .25 mpgs. Was your driving habits changed?bi drive a lot of freeway and grades the best I got was 14 mpg that seems to be the general consensus on eco fuellys forum.

L31MaxExpress

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I have always had worse mileage at 55-65 than I do at 75-80. Above 80 the mileage tanks a bit because the box like aero. Even my stock L31 liked being at 2,000-2,500 rpm for the best mileage. 70 mph was 2,000 rpm with the stock 4L60E and 3.42s.

boy&hisdogs

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I filled up today and found I got a whopping 9 mpg over this tank. Not 19... just 9. I think it's because it was almost all in-town and stop and go traffic driving and a lot of wasted gas trying to get all the smog diagnostics to run. My last tank was 12 mpg driving like I normally do.

So there you go. Drive like an idiot and give up a quarter of your gas mileage. :33:

HotWheelsBurban

Gotta have 4 doors..... Rawhide, TOTY 2023!
Reaction score
Nice that's a dramatic increase when I go 70mph I noticed I went down .75 - .25 mpgs. Was your driving habits changed?bi drive a lot of freeway and grades the best I got was 14 mpg that seems to be the general consensus on eco fuellys forum.
I don't think our driving was that different between tanks. Just around the Houston area, nothing major. I'll be interested to see how this tank does; it has some freeway driving going to and coming back from the model club show yesterday. Going 60-65 to keep from getting run over....