Best way to prep the body (multiple 90s pine-stripping) for paint

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

llorracs93s10

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
My truck has the 90s paint job and has the two tone multiple pinstripping and they seem to be on there with hardlines so if I just had it painted over top , it would most likely show through. I am doing all the body work possible first than taking it to Maaco for the paint job. Yes Maaco isnt the best, but they have a deal right now, and its just to get the truck one color. My buddy can cut and buff to make it shine better. BUt for the price I cant beat it. Heres a few pictures of what I mean. Plans are to get the cab corners replaced and do the little body work needed to get it ready.

You must be registered for see images attach

You must be registered for see images attach

vervepipes

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Try using a flat scraper razor on a warm day or with a heat gun, going slowly since it's going to be brittle from age. Since you're going to prep it for paint you'll have to rough up the rest of the paint afterwards. Make sure you use some goo-gone or similar after to make sure the glue is removed. I have no beef with maaco, I'm considering it to make my truck at least presentable for the time being. I have a lot of old business signage in vinyl on the sides of my truck and the flat razor is by far the most effective I've found.

ChrisAU

War Damn Eagle
Reaction score
I dig the old school look!

But if you want it off, save your fingers and time and buy some 3M Eraser wheels that go on a drill, and go to town.

llorracs93s10

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I dig the old school look!

But if you want it off, save your fingers and time and buy some 3M Eraser wheels that go on a drill, and go to town.

Good deal! I am ordering the cab corners tonight. And trying to find a grille from a 94+ silverado or sierra. Junk yard around me wanted 125 bucks for a busted up one! Are you kidding me!? Ebay seems to be the cheapest, but they dont have the black paintable gmc grille with the chrome trim inside without spending $$.