Body has shifted to the right

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

cdivine

Reaction score
So I was hauling a water tank in the bed, backed the truck over some rough terrain and heard a loud pop. Checked things out and the exhaust is now touching the body. Upon closer inspection the body has shifted about 3/4 inch to the right compared to the bed. So it could be the bed has shifted to the left, pulling the exhaust with it causing it to touch the body.

Lots of rust on this truck so somethings moved on me. What can I measure from to tell what's really shifted? And how would you get things back in alignsmnt

Hipster

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Sure you didn't get the tailpipe hung on something and broke an exhaust hanger or something? It would take quite a bit of force to move the bed with it bolted directly to the frame.

cdivine

Reaction score
You must be registered for see images attach
You must be registered for see images attach

cdivine

Reaction score
The exhaust hangers are all fine, it's what I first suspected. Then I noticed the misalignment between the bed and body. Could of always been like this for all I know.

Drunkcanuk

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Wow.....that's not good!
To figure out what moved, measure from the frame rails to the rocker of the cab. On both sides.
Then measure the bed to outside of the box. Then you will know which shifted.

GMC_YA_L8R

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sure you didn't hear a U bolt breaking? When mine were snapped there was a clear lean to the side that was still holding. Didn't shift the bed so much as leaned it but could be the culprit. Blow the crud out of the U bolt/axle saddles and see if one (or more) are broken.

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
A quick check of the cab mounts would be my first action. If the bed bolts broke then you should be able to shove the bed around to change that gap (providing the bed is empty), so that should be obvious.

If you're in rust area then the cab mount bushings/bolts and the pedestals they attach to on the frame are highly suspect.

Richard

RichLo

E I E I O
Reaction score
Do you have a side view picture of the truck? Do all of the body lines still match up?