Best Vortec Distributors?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
A coil is what $20 and takes 15 minutes to change, if the rivets are gone already.
The problem is that cheap-junk Chinese coils are likely not as good as a properly-functioning OEM coil. They're more-prone to future failure even if the OEM coil was defective.

It sucks that replacement parts can't be trusted to meet OEM specs, even when the box they come in says they do.

Better to perform the Ohmmeter and visual checks on the existing coil, and then verify that it'll reliably fire a spark-tester calibrated for HEI.

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
That tests the coil's external insulation--the plastic cap on top of the housing.

Yep, an internal short from either the primary or secondary windings to each other, the metal coil case, or the internal laminated-steel core. The coil can become weak--still makes a spark, but won't be a full-power spark. As time goes by, the spark gets weak enough to notice under load...and then weak enough that the engine barely runs.

Seems...unusual.

Shouldn't I be nuking ICMs too? I guess that's neither here nor there, I should just ohm the thing out. I think I have one on the shelf from a 4.3 to try as well.

BNielsen

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
A coil is what $20 and takes 15 minutes to change, if the rivets are gone already.
I've got a new coil and ICM; Davis Unified Ignition.
I've been trying to get a proper data-log before I replace the parts. The shop I had the truck at for a tune-up did the coil and ICM, only to replace them with the factory ones when the truck wouldn't start because of the faulty cap and rotor, and instead of bolting them, they re-riveted the coil.

BNielsen

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
That sucks. I had to grind my rivets in the middle of a snowstorm, while it was 5 degrees F, while on vacation in Texas.

^^^That might make the task seem easier. :)
Definitely makes me appreciate my shade street in front of my building a little more.

If only the 454 coil was as easy to reach as the small blocks though.

Captainfab

Reaction score
This is the distributor I would recommend.

Yes it is spendy, but it is made in the USA from actual billet aluminum. Not just machined cast aluminum as the cheapos are.

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
This is the distributor I would recommend.

Yes it is spendy, but it is made in the USA from actual billet aluminum. Not just machined cast aluminum as the cheapos are.

Even comes with a new GM cam sensor. That looks legit right there.