Best Vortec Distributors?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
Unless it snaps in half like mine did.

Well that's unfortunate. My assumption is distributor wobble among other things is the cause of my WOT only 4000+ RPM misfire. Dually doesn't do it, so it can't be that the stock stuff in good condition is lacking.

L31MaxExpress

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Well that's unfortunate. My assumption is distributor wobble among other things is the cause of my WOT only 4000+ RPM misfire. Dually doesn't do it, so it can't be that the stock stuff in good condition is lacking.
I am running a distributor again on the 383. Several things I did not like about the 24x. Mine pulls to 6,200.

My gut says you have a coil failing.

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
I am running a distributor again on the 383. Several things I did not like about the 24x. Mine pulls to 6,200.

My gut says you have a coil failing.

That is also high on my list of suspected items, but I dumped a gallon of water on the thing while running and it didn't skip a beat. I thought that was supposed to be a decent test of a coil's strength?

L31MaxExpress

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
When my OEM coil failed, I could tell I was down on power nearly everywhere, about like dragging an anchor. WOT misfire at high rpm and also occasionally a misfire induced shudder in overdrive with the converter locked. It kept getting harder and harder to start in cold/wet weather until one snowy day it quit. Just spun over. When I pulled the engine cover, the coil was actually wet and arcing into itself. Hosed the coil down with WD40 and the thing fired right up. Changed the coil and it was a night and day difference.

L31MaxExpress

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
That is also high on my list of suspected items, but I dumped a gallon of water on the thing while running and it didn't skip a beat. I thought that was supposed to be a decent test of a coil's strength?
Coil can still partially short without quiting in the submersion test.

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score

Weird. Mine (the 1500) is flawless until it cracks 4000 RPM WOT. At that point, if you're watching out the mirror, you can watch the exhaust begin to smoke. Since I haven't dreamt up a method to diagnose it, I've avoided it while debating loading the parts cannon. The exhaust thing was a recent realization, I've probably been missing that for a bit now. I'm curious though, what didn't you like about 24x?

L31MaxExpress

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Weird. Mine (the 1500) is flawless until it cracks 4000 RPM WOT. At that point, if you're watching out the mirror, you can watch the exhaust begin to smoke. Since I haven't dreamt up a method to diagnose it, I've avoided it while debating loading the parts cannon. The exhaust thing was a recent realization, I've probably been missing that for a bit now. I'm curious though, what didn't you like about 24x?
Problem with the 24x was the rearward coil mounting (basically over the OEM distributor) still required me to use OEM vortec style plug wires anyway. The coils also had to be mounted in the hottest spot of my engine compartment. I kept losing D585 coils one at a time. They would just randomly fry.

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I dumped a gallon of water on the thing while running and it didn't skip a beat. I thought that was supposed to be a decent test of a coil's strength?
That tests the coil's external insulation--the plastic cap on top of the housing.

Yep, an internal short from either the primary or secondary windings to each other, the metal coil case, or the internal laminated-steel core. The coil can become weak--still makes a spark, but won't be a full-power spark. As time goes by, the spark gets weak enough to notice under load...and then weak enough that the engine barely runs.

Problem with the 24x was the rearward coil mounting (basically over the OEM distributor) still required me to use OEM vortec style plug wires anyway. The coils also had to be mounted in the hottest spot of my engine compartment. I kept losing D585 coils one at a time. They would just randomly fry.
Seems...unusual.

BNielsen

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Wow, not only is this a solid discussion on part's recommendations; but it's also confirming my thoughts on my truck's continued misfire.

Only mine starts at 2500.

letitsnow

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
A coil is what $20 and takes 15 minutes to change, if the rivets are gone already.