Best value headers for 454 TBI (CO legal)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

1992prime

Reaction score
Im curious what members would recommend as the best header choice for my 1993 Suburban K2500 (454 TBI).
I'm looking for something that will still allow me to pass emissions and wont break the bank. I dont do any towing. Just live at high elevation and looking for a bit more oomph. The exhaust is otherwise stock with a magnaflow.
Thanks!

Nad_Yvalhosert

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Passing emissions is the key, huh? I assume that means the converter stays intact and in the OE location?
Sounds like shorties are your option. No real noticable increases in power, but they're better than the restrictive manifolds.
Just make sure there labeled "50 state legal" or "California compliant" or some such...

I am surprised that a '93 still requires an emissions inspection. Here in New Yuck its exempt after 25 years, meaning 1997 and older requires "safety only".

PlayingWithTBI

2022 Truck of the Year
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Just make sure there labeled "50 state legal" or "California compliant" or some such...
Or come with a CARB EO (California Air Resources Board Executive Order) #

I know Summit Racing (made by Pace Setter) has shorties for a 5.7L with a CARB #, maybe you can find a set for your 7.4?

Not totally sure about CO, but CA is emission unless made prior to 76
Same here in Maricopa County AZ

tpass

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Honestly, on a stock TBI truck you are not going to see any worthwhile gain in power from swapping over to headers, its just not worth the effort. Long Tube headers may get you 4 or 5 horsepower, but that won't work with any of your existing exhaust. (sounds like you want to keep your existing pipes)

Since you are basically stock except for the muffler, short tubes may work, but you will still probably need to rework or buy a new y pipe or maybe even an entire new exhaust, and shorty headers will get you no gain in horsepower.. and be a pita to install.

I don't know anything about Colorado emissions laws... so can't help you there.

PlayingWithTBI

2022 Truck of the Year
Supporting Member
Reaction score
but you will still probably need to rework or buy a new y pipe or maybe even an entire new exhaust, and shorty headers will get you no gain in horsepower.. and be a pita to install.
The shorty headers for small blocks are a direct bolt in replacement. I'm guessing the BBC will be too. With a better Y pipe, high flow Cat, and straight through muffler, there are gains to be made. Do you have any dyno data showing shorties don't do anything?

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
The anti-header claims come from people who've never installed them. OP I don't have any personal experience, just jump on Summit, punch in the year/make/model, and buy some CARB legal headers. CO adopted CA emission standards to some extent, definitely when it comes to cats, but not in all counties. No emissions here in El Paso County.

tpass

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
The shorty headers for small blocks are a direct bolt in replacement. I'm guessing the BBC will be too. With a better Y pipe, high flow Cat, and straight through muffler, there are gains to be made. Do you have any dyno data showing shorties don't do anything?

Thank you for validating my point, it's not just a "header install", its a complete new exhaust for 10HP.