Best grit for sanding?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

lkfldredneck

HILLBILLY DELUXE!!!
Reaction score
Im goin to hopefully be painting my truck soon, so im going to have to pick up some supplies. whats the best grit sandpaper for sanding paint, not down to bare metal, but enough for primer. cause thats all i can afford. lol Primer power!

SkyHighColorado

^LIFTED^
Reaction score
My guess would be 2000 grit. But I am a detailer and only do wet sanding clear coat. You may want something more like 1500.

I use 2000 - 3000 grit to wet sand scratches.

SkyHighColorado

^LIFTED^
Reaction score
most walmarts carry 3m sand paper in the auto section, I would also get a sanding block to put the paper on for even sanding. Just fill a bucket with dish soap and water and let the paper soak for a few mins.

lkfldredneck

HILLBILLY DELUXE!!!
Reaction score
most walmarts carry 3m sand paper in the auto section, I would also get a sanding block to put the paper on for even sanding. Just fill a bucket with dish soap and water and let the paper soak for a few mins.

Yea, only thing with walmart is its in the city, and im in the country, and i dont have a ride.. ever.. thanks for the advice btw!

great white

Retirement countdown!
Reaction score
Waaay too fine a grit if you're sanding for spraying primer. 1500-2000 is finishing grits before moving to compounds and polishes. Most heavy cut compounds are around the 2000 range.

Around 320 is plenty of tooth for primer without being overly aggressive.

I prefer dry until I get to finishing coats of paint and then switch to wet to keep the paper from packing up.

You also need to clean and degrease if priming over original paint.

Get thyself to Google and start reading......:)

Last edited:

SkyHighColorado

^LIFTED^
Reaction score
Waaay too fine a grit if you're spraying primer. 1500-2000 is finishing grits before moving to compounds and polishes. Most heavy cut compounds are around the 2000 range.

Around 320 is plenty of tooth for primer without being overly aggressive.

I prefer dry until I get to finishing coats of paint and then switch to wet to keep the paper from packing up.

You also need to clean and degrease if priming over original paint.

Get thyself to Google and start reading......:)

Yeah that's why I said I wasn't sure....he said "not down to bare metal" so that's what I suggested. 320 will go straight to metal.

great white

Retirement countdown!
Reaction score
... 320 will go straight to metal.

Sure, if you use it wrong......go to a 600-800 if you're nervous about 320-600. That's closer to final prep for finish coats but will work well enough.

A little too fine for my preferences and primer though.

Of note: this is for DA sanders.

Last edited:

KReePiN

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
The body shop i worked at used anything from 320 to 400......as long as your not overly aggressive with it,and dont sand the same spot over and over it should be just fine.its just enough to cut through what you want,and fine enough to not strip it right down to the metal.