Best flex head ratchet style?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

454cid

Sooper Pooper
Reaction score
I've never had a flex head ratchet. I always thought they were kinda gimicky, and then one day I was thinking of one of the greatest annoyances with working on my truck. Getting a ratchet (or wrench) on a bolt and having no room to swing it. I've also seen a couple of Youtube videos where guys are using them for clearance.

I'm thinking I've been an idiot for not getting a flex head sooner. I'll probably start out with 3/8", but I notice there are a couple different styles.

Which do you find to be better.... or do they each have their place/purpose?

Then there is also the indexing head, which isn't quite the same thing:

Also there are some with more than one joint:

For now, I'll probably stay with HF, or maybe Tekton.

PlayingWithTBI

2022 Truck of the Year
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Back in the 70s SK Wayne was about the only one that made the "Plug" ratchet wrench (still have it) like the 2nd one you posted. The advantage is you're centering your torque on the head which will reduce the chance of slipping the socket off the bolt head. Plus, you can swing it vertical and speed twist them on/off. It has an extra long handle, fairly fine teeth, and the tension on the head is adjustable :waytogo:

You must be registered for see images attach

GoToGuy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I've looked at alot but i do have alot of obstruction, offset wrenches open end or box, some with half or three eighths drive, so i haven't got one yet. Except this Snapon flexhead bent handle that i got in '73 when we did alot more and tuneups. It worked well.
You must be registered for see images attach

stutaeng

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
The flex-head ratchets are my go-to ratchets. I've got the HF 1/4 and I like the plastic handle on it.

The 3/8" is the one I use the most. I got it at Advanced Auto and the brand is TEQ, which I think is rebranded Gearwrench. It says 84T.

The 1/2 is a Kobalt. I don't use that one that much, unless I'm doing suspension or brakes.

Attachments

• IMG_20220101_180804869.jpg
    IMG_20220101_180804869.jpg
    207.9 KB · Views: 8

454cid

Sooper Pooper
Reaction score
I finally made it to Tekton's website, and they differentiate the style by calling one a flex head, and the other a swivel head. Taking another look at the HF website they use the same terminology. I had no idea. I've never paid attention to anything but fixed handle ratchets. Probably because that's all my dad used.

PlayingWithTBI

2022 Truck of the Year
Supporting Member
Reaction score

skylark

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I personally like the style of the first one that you listed. I also like the quick release. I only have one non flex head ratchet at work. It is a short fine tooth Snap On that I like for tight places. I also like metal handles because I've lost a lot of strength and the ability to put a cheater pipe on and torque to the moon without destroying a soft handle sure is nice. I only buy fine tooth ratchets.

TechNova

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Flex head Blackhawk 3/8" ratchets are all I have used in shops and at home since the 80's. I bought two identical when a store closed and only recently bought a MATCO straight ratchet which I don't use.