Bent frame after cnotch!!!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
@Moe2dippy, please explain your pictures a bit more, as I'm confused.

In one, I see a notched frame that's bent.

You must be registered for see images attach

In the other, there are some sort of "accessory" brackets shown bolted to the frame.

Please explain.

You must be registered for see images attach
What you see in 1st pic is a frame bent during the notch process because of bad procedure. Frame not supported correctly, and springs still attached at both ends, exerting force on the frame while it is being cut.

2nd pic are C-notch braces which are a necessary part of notching the frame. You can make your own if you're good at fab work, or you can buy any number of pre-made ones which can be weld-in, or bolt-in.

Richard

1998_K1500_Sub

Nitro Junkie
Supporting Member
Reaction score
What you see in 1st pic is a frame bent during the notch process because of bad procedure. Frame not supported correctly, and springs still attached at both ends, exerting force on the frame while it is being cut.

2nd pic are C-notch braces which are a necessary part of notching the frame. You can make your own if you're good at fab work, or you can buy any number of pre-made ones which can be weld-in, or bolt-in.

Richard

That was my guess... but I couldn't understand why @Moe2dippy would bolt those braces onto the frame w/o the frame being completely straight (or properly re-straightened, in OP's case), first. Perhaps he *did* sorta straighten the frame, then bolt those braces in... but then did they and the frame bend again?

Something's missing from this story. Or maybe I'm just too ignorant to understand.

:popcorn:

Last edited:

GoToGuy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
You really shortcut this project. Next time do the proper research. Frame under tension from leaf springs. Cut notches weaken frame, only horizontal upper strap cannot support load result bending moment.
If you had just watched a few vids, Powernation, any of those, even Street truck does " how to's ".

Moe2dippy

Reaction score
That was my guess... but I couldn't understand why @Moe2dippy would bolt those braces onto the frame w/o the frame being completely straight (or properly re-straightened, in OP's case), first. Perhaps he *did* sorta straighten the frame, then bolt those braces in... but then did they and the frame bend again?

Something's missing from this story. Or maybe I'm just too ignorant to understand.

:popcorn:
We put it all back together to see if it was at least drive able and save able to even put in any time and effort in trying to bend it straight and fix it completely with taking it to a welder after straightening we test drive it on a empty lot and with the bed on to see if it’ll bend anymore but it didn’t so this weekend we’re gonna take everything off take measurements bend it straight if possible save the truck

Hipster

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
fix it completely with taking it to a welder after straightening we test drive it on a empty lot and with the bed on to see if it’ll bend anymore
You can't rely on the bed to keep the frame straight if that's what you mean. You really need someone with some experience here. You don't want a truck bed to the back of the head in the event of a collision if frame folds up.

All is not lost, just need the right person/people involved.

Last edited:

Moe2dippy

Reaction score
You can't rely on the bed to keep the frame straight if that's what you mean. You really need someone with some experience here. You don't want a truck bed to the back of the head in the event of a collision if frame folds up.

All is not lost, just need the right person/people involved.
Relying on the bed at all to make the frame straight we’re going to straighten the frame tomorrow. All we did was use the bed of the truck to make sure it was drivable.won’t fall apart.

1989GMCSIERRA

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Looks like you supported the rear of the frame at the bumpers then cut the frame which stressed it from the weight of the cab, the leverage of the rear supports and the cutting of the frame. You need to find a FLAT surface. Park the truck on there and then place Jack stands under the frame BEFORE the front sprig mounts.
REMOVE the axle and sprigs spare tire rear bumper. You’ll never bend that frame straight with all that added weight and leverage points.
You will need a set of Jack stands for the rear corners of the frame also.
Get some long 6 foot levels or flat pieces of thick square stock Unistrut works well.
Clamp it to the top of the frame with c clamps so the frame is straightened. Pick two points on the left and right side of the frame behind and as close to the cab Measure the frame in a X pattern from corner to opposite corner. Yiu shoid be within the 1/8 if a inch measurement to measurement. That measures the frame if it’s square.
Once it’s square and straightened by c clamp and bar stock put the c notches on there bolt and weld them.

Otherwise go find a frame in the junkyard. A short bed single cab is gettig hard to find. Lots of times trucks in the junkyard are wrecked so you may only be able to cut the back for wh frame and then try to weld it which brings its own set of problems.