Bed Liner Rockers and Flares? Opinions, please.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

98Sport

Reaction score
I've trolled this site for a while now, and want to thank everyone for the great info on the site.

I've got a '98 2-Door Tahoe 4wd with the "sport package". It's Victory red with black rockers, bumpers, grille and fender flares. At first I wasn't a fan of the color. I'd usually prefer colormatched flares and chrome bumpers, but I've grown to love it. It's got 135k on it, and I'm the 4th owner. Unfortunately the 2nd and 3rd owners were teenage/20s females who didn't care much about cosmetic maintenance so it's showing its age, especially on the bumpers and flares. (Luckily both girls' fathers were meticulous about routine maintenance, so it runs like an '08 instead of a'98)

Several months ago I took a wire wheel and grinder to the hideously rusty frame rails and sprayed them with Dupli-Color's "Bed Armor" bed liner. The front grille shell was pitted and faded, so I sprayed it while I was at it. I LOVE this stuff. I took the rails to bare metal, wiped them down with acetone, and put 3 coats on, and it's going to outlast the rest of the truck. Lol. The grille has fared just as well. I scuffed it with some 400 grit, washed it with Dawn dish soap, and did 3 coats.

Now I've grown tired of looking at the faded black rockers and bumpers, and the yellow plastic showing on the flares. I'm really thinking about hitting them all with the same coating. I know a lot of guys HATE bedlinered trucks and mine is by no means a trail rig, but I think the Bed Armor would blend in and fit in with my future plans (black 17" wheels, 285s, cranked torsion bars). It doesn't have a lot of texture to it like the others, and it seems to be holding it's color really well.

What do you guys think? I've seen a few members pictures, but I haven't seen one like mine. Any input would be appreciated!

kn1ght

Banned
Reaction score
Go to walmart, they sell a can of spray bed liner, for $8 a can. That **** is amazing. Seriously. I did my interior plastic with it, and my frame. It is ****'n awesome man. Can't go wrong. Highly recommend.

98Sport

Reaction score
Do you remember the brand or name? I noticed today that Advanced Auto had the spray cans of Bed Armor on sale for $9.99. I'd be willing to use less expensive brand that looks more like paint than a textured liner, especially with the metric shitload of the stuff I'm going to need! I used 5 cans on my frame rails, I'm sure it'll take twice that many to do 3 coats on my bumpers, flares and rockers.

kn1ght

Banned
Reaction score
I did all the plastics, and inside of my doors with one can. I don't remember what it is called, it's siting in the bed of my truck. It's textured and looks and feels great. It took me one can to do two coats on my frame. It's about 2x the size of a normal spray can. I will reply to the thread tomorrow with the brand.

kn1ght

Banned
Reaction score
And it is thick. You honestly don't need to layer it like regular spray paint. Two or three cans should take care of all your needs.

Swims350

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
IMO please don't everyone does this crap now and it just looks aweful to me.

On a tail rig yea it's alright, gonna get destroyed anyways, but a daily or around town I hate it.

To me it's just an excuse to not have to keep it clean or waxed. So for a truck you aint worried about go for it.

98chev

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I would like to do something like this to mine but i want to paint it white so its not as noticable and will still keep from getting the stone chips. anyone know of anything good to use?

Swims350

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
well not for DIY but places who do bedliner spray ins can make em about any color, and textures as well from smooth to rough.

Devs93

OBS 4 EVA
Reaction score
I would like to do something like this to mine but i want to paint it white so its not as noticable and will still keep from getting the stone chips. anyone know of anything good to use?

They sell stuff called rocker panels spray it protects from rust chips etc you should be able to get it in white. I line the inside of my doors with a couple heavy coats of that and then a couple heavy coats of undercoating

edit its called rock guard

bambam78

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I was just wondering how long this stuff actually lasts before it starts chipping off? Also what kinda prep work is involved before applying it?