Battery problem

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Erik the Awful

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I made that video a couple years ago, after a weekend of having to teach young mechanics battery basics.

KamenRider_1500

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
theres a few common trouble spots for killing a battery. first is the glove box light. is it going off when the door is closed? the glove boxes kind of comes apart and then the pin does not line up correctly and it doesn't shut off. screw it all back together and it should work again or, remove the bulb.

the vanity lights on the sunvisors. they have lights on either side of the mirror. you might notice the drivers side on if you look up at night or forget the visor down and see it at night... but you probably will never look at the passanger side mirror almost ever. maybe a passanger will but not you. those lights might be on all the time. realigne the mirror covers so the pin makes contact with the cover and they should go off.

another is the underhood light, if it is not bent just right then it will be on all the time. it's a mercury filled switch that makes contact when the hood is lifted and turns off when the hood is closed. if this light is on, carefully bend the bracket so it turns off.

I have seen all of these things happen more than once on more than one of these trucks including all 3 at once. if all 3 problem areas are on all the time, it will kill the battery in 24 hours if the truck isn't started.

I also swapped all of the interior bulbs to LEDS after my kids left a bulb on in the back.
Yeah I checked all three light sources, they all seem to be working perfectly and turn off properly. Sometimes I feel like it’s the clock that kills the battery so I usually leave the ignition keyhole on the second click so it turns off. Maybe that’s what kills it a lot faster?

thegawd

I'm Done!
Reaction score
ya no worries. live and learn.

Hell I almost plugged a transmission breather line with a bolt and a gear clamp many years ago. somewhere around 2014 I think. eventually I signed up to a forum and posted that as my first ever question asking what this random hose is for and was told.....

yup that would have probably killed the transmission fairly quickly as the hot air would be trapped inside with no where to escape.

Yeah I know a lot more about these trucks since back then. boy did I ever feel like a dumbass as this was my second Suburban and my second transmission remove and replace....

yeah... live and learn.

HeavyAsAChevy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
ya no worries. live and learn.

Hell I almost plugged a transmission breather line with a bolt and a gear clamp many years ago. somewhere around 2014 I think. eventually I signed up to a forum and posted that as my first ever question asking what this random hose is for and was told.....

yup that would have probably killed the transmission fairly quickly as the hot air would be trapped inside with no where to escape.

Yeah I know a lot more about these trucks since back then. boy did I ever feel like a dumbass as this was my second Suburban and my second transmission remove and replace....

yeah... live and learn.
Can’t laugh too much though, it’s a miracle I haven’t destroyed something on mine lolol