Battery cable routing

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

YankeePaul

Reaction score
I need a picture of the battery cable routing to/from the fuse located on the fan shroud. 99 Suburban 2500 4x4 7.4. An actual picture would be greatly appreciated. TIA

454cid

Sooper Pooper
Reaction score
Fuse located on the fan shroud? Maybe this is a Suburban/SUV thing... or aftermarket? I don't have any fuses under the hood outside of the fuse box near the brake master cylinder. I have a 99 truck.

1998_K1500_Sub

Nitro Junkie
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I need a picture of the battery cable routing to/from the fuse located on the fan shroud. 99 Suburban 2500 4x4 7.4. An actual picture would be greatly appreciated. TIA

That’s used on the big (CS-144 140A?) alternator option AFAIK, utilizing heavier gauge wire from the ALT all the way to the firewall junction box on the driver's side.

Last edited:

1998_K1500_Sub

Nitro Junkie
Supporting Member
Reaction score
This illustration jibes with what I’ve seen in the treasure yards.

Note how the adjunct fuse holder is screwed to the radiator shroud on the passenger’s side. From memory, those are #8 or #10 screws; I know they're identical to others used elsewhere on the vehicle... "a typical GMT400 screw".

Also note how 175A fuse is wired / electrically between the battery lead and ALT lead; the remaining (third) lead to the firewall junction box (which goes over the top of the radiator shroud toward driver’s side), is not fused there, rather, it’s connected to the same stud as the ALT lead as shown in the illustration.

That's called the "MEGA FUSE BLOCK" in the service manual.

You must be registered for see images attach

See discussion here, which includes a wiring diagram describing what I stated above:

I actually have two of these OEM CS-144 alternator wiring harnesses, both from the treasure yard. One will go on my Sub one day and the other is a spare.

Last edited:

454cid

Sooper Pooper
Reaction score
I actually have two of these OEM CS-144 alternator wiring harnesses, both from the treasure yard. One will go on my Sub one day and the other is a spare.

I have an original CS-144 truck, and I don't have that fuse block. It's got to be something else besides the alternator that triggers the need for that.

1998_K1500_Sub

Nitro Junkie
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have an original CS-144 truck, and I don't have that fuse block. It's got to be something else besides the alternator that triggers the need for that.

Reportedly it’s related to:

ZM9: Sales Package Comfort and Convenience (Utility/Suburban Feature Package)

I wonder if that’s an upfitter package.

There might exist a similar RPO for non-utility/truck bodies.

I can’t remember whether I found these, in my treasure search, on truck or utility models; I do remember plainly the big ALT was present too, which jibed with the heavier gauge wiring. I might imagine the big ALT was a prerequisite for this kit / RPO.

1998_K1500_Sub

Nitro Junkie
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I found these references to RPO ZM9 in the 1998 Service Manual, pages attached.

Note the schematics on pgs. 2 & 3 of this four-page .pdf file. Note the use of the MEGA FUSE BLOCK and associated wiring for "UPLEVEL FEATURES".

ZM9: Sales Package Comfort and Convenience (Utility/Suburban Feature Package)

Attachments

• RPO ZM9.pdf
    347.8 KB · Views: 19