Ground cable on filler neck is torn

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

KOOPS

Reaction score
The grounding cable on my filler neck is broken, what/will this affect? Is it an issue I need to resolve soon? 97 chev 4x4

Last edited:

Caman96

OEM Baby!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Take it straight to a mechanic!!!!!
Seriously, just fix it, buy another and replace it.

fancyTBI

Some of my trucks run and drive
Supporting Member
Reaction score
They are riveted to the filler neck. If it’s ancient you’d probably be able to pry it off and bolt a new one on. Get a bigger one and put electrical grease on both fastening ends.

Das Hatt

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
They are riveted to the filler neck. If it’s ancient you’d probably be able to pry it off and bolt a new one on. Get a bigger one and put electrical grease on both fastening ends.
This is precisely what I did with my 92. I had the bed off and dropped the tank in order to do a bunch of work. It was frayed and holding on for dear life so I bought some grounding straps from AutoZone and greased and bolted it on.

movietvet

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
The grounding cable on my filler neck is broken, what/will this affect? Is it an issue I need to resolve soon? 97 chev 4x4
Welcome to the forum from Oregon.

What/will this effect? It is to protect against a spark from static electricity in the air and from the flow of fuel into the tank.

One of the reasons why a gas station does not want you putting fuel in an unapproved container.

Last edited:

KOOPS

Reaction score
Welcome to the forum from Oregon.

What/will this effect? It is to protect against a spark from static electricity in the air and from the flow of fuel into the tank.

One of the reasons why a gas station does not want you putting fuel in an unapproved container.
Thanks for the info guys, will get it resolved today