Bad idle

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Reaction score
Have a 96 vortec 5.7 with a tuned pcm was running rough until I cleared the codes coolant temp sensor and knock sensor. I can't understand why it runs good after I cleared them can anyone help Me understand what's going on?

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Computer was probably in "Limp Home" mode; which will eventually re-set if the problem(s) that triggered those codes isn't corrected.

Clearing the codes also cleared the need for "Limp Home" mode. For awhile, anyway.

Reaction score
Have a 96 vortec 5.7 with a tuned pcm was running rough until I cleared the codes coolant temp sensor and knock sensor. I can't understand why it runs good after I cleared them can anyone help Me understand what's going on?
What Schurkey said.
What codes were they? P0128 for cooling? Not sure what the knock sensor code is off the top of my head.

I suppose they could be related but is your engine noisy? Pinging or knocking?

Most likely I’d imagine the coolant temp sensor is causing your drivability issue and possibly the knock sensor issue as well though I have heard of them going bad and don’t remember them being that expensive just to replace while doing the coolant temp sensor. They thread into a coolant passage anyway so it wouldn’t hurt for efficiency purposes.

This is without knowing the codes but gm cars and trucks share a little bit as far as “reactions” go