axle help

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

trx88

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
there are some things about gm axles that i need to learn

hoping someone can explain a few things

i have a 96 k1500 thats lifted up with 35's

its got the 10 bolt rear end in it, what gears are in this rear end

also what gears would be better for getting those 35's spinning faster quicker easier on the motor

if i get on a hilly highway i lose 15 mph on the way to the top, unless its on cruise cfontrol and it downshifts hard

also what is meant by full or partial floater, and what is a locker, these are things i should know already

i am wanting to go to a different rear axle and then eventually a sfa also

trx88

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
i saw a k1500 for sale where a guy had leaf shackles welded in and put a highboy front axle under the front end, i emailed him and asked how, he said the highboy axle lined right up with

his stock transfer case, which im guessing is a 205 or maybe someone could tell me common transfer cases also, then there is the transfer case axle which i dont know how that fit against the ford differential

Greg

Über Mod
Supporting Member
Reaction score
for your gear ratio look in the glove box for one of these RPO codes:

GQ1 -- AXLE REAR, STD RATIO
GT4 -- AXLE REAR, 3.73 RATIO
GT5 -- AXLE REAR, 4.10 RATIO
GU4 -- AXLE REAR, 3.08 RATIO
GU5 -- AXLE REAR, 3.23 RATIO
GU6 -- AXLE REAR, 3.42 RATIO
G80 -- AXLE REAR, LIMITED SLIP (POSITRACTION)

HC4 -- AXLE REAR, 4.56 RATIO

Now with 35's your better off going with a 4.10 gear set up. And It's what I'll eventually be doing.

And a locker gets rid of the 'one wheel wonder' phenomenon and makes both tires spin together constantly, 'locking' the rotation of your right and left rear tires together.

trx88

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
very nice

greg thank you!

ive had people tell me to utfse, which i could have but this fills in much more gaps

one up for ya

by the way whats obs or osb or all these abbreviations everyone uses on here

trx88

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
and whats a floater?

or semifloater

Greg

Über Mod
Supporting Member
Reaction score
A semi-floater axle is one that all the vehicals weight and rotational torque are placed on the outside bearing and axle.

A full-floater axle has a seperate bearing assembly on the end of the axle housing to support the weight of the vehical and rotational torque is the only load on the axle shaft. A full floating axle is easy to spot because the bearings protrude through the center of the wheel.

Check out this really good article:
http://www.off-roadweb.com/tech/0112or_semi_floating_and_full_floating_axles/index.html

trx88

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
so a semi floater has a bearing at each side of the differential

a full floater has a bearing at each side of the differential and one at each end of the axle houseing

reguardless i now understand the term floater or semi floater because one is somewhat supported one is completely supported

my truck has a 10 bolt cover and a gu6 code so its a 3:42

now is 3:42 relevant to three teeth to fourty two teeth or is it that for every three driveshaft spins i get 42 wheelspins

in my highest gear

after this im done with questions i promise, also wheres the one up button around here

Greg

Über Mod
Supporting Member
Reaction score
click the star at the bottom left corner of my post

trx88

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
i didnt read past clip vs pressed bearing, but i do understand now

can i simply replace the gears in my differential or do i need to find another axle,

i know of a very very good junkyard thats kind of a well kept secret thats full of gm1500's

im sure its easier to just go find an axle, i know the 14 bolt will fit directly, but is there a 6 lug full float?