Aux. Radiator Fan ???

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Darrell

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
BobbyV,

The fan pic from your #3 post is used as an auxiliary fan for the ac condenser. It's bolted onto the front of the radiator/ac condenser support with self tapping screws.

The reason the brackets are angled and it's installed with the longer bracket fingers to the top and the shorter to the bottom.

Is this the fan you're using for the radiator? If so, it's to small for the engine cooling wanted.

I've installed one of these with great results. Remove the fan and clutch assy, installs to the inside. Or you could build one from a junk yard too.

Flex-a-lite 280 '92-'99 Chevy Truck Fan

Last edited:

bobby v

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Quick test of the fan, hook up jumper wires from the battery and see if it will 'sing' at full speed. If it does, no need to replace unless you really want the other fan.

I did that once and now I think Ill do it again just to see how fast it turns, with a direct jump from the battery that would be a max out put Im assuming so if it still spins at what I consider a "slow" rpm then Ill just replace the damn thing
Bobby V

bobby v

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
BobbyV,

The fan pic from your #3 post is used as an auxiliary fan for the ac condenser. It's bolted onto the front of the radiator/ac condenser support with self tapping screws.

The reason the brackets are angled and it's installed with the longer bracket fingers to the top and the shorter to the bottom.

Is this the fan you're using for the radiator? If so, it's to small for the engine cooling wanted.

I've installed one of these with great results. Remove the fan and clutch assy, installs to the inside. Or you could build one from a junk yard too.

Flex-a-lite 280 '92-'99 Chevy Truck Fan

Thats the oEM setup Darrell which I can only assume is a supplemental fan for cooling when the temp gets too warm for both the condenser and the rad, if you are asking if I still have a belt driven fan then yes I do. Its the slow speed of rpms that the little one turns that concerns me.
Thanks
Bobby v

bobby v

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Quick test of the fan, hook up jumper wires from the battery and see if it will 'sing' at full speed. If it does, no need to replace unless you really want the other fan.

OK I got home and checked if it was spinning as it should, temp was high enough believe me, it was spinning but again not up to par for me, then it slowed way down so I tapped it pretty firmly and it took off ???
So then I thought Ill do the direct jump again, it sounded noisy at first but it did spin as it should so Im wondering, these cant be variable speed fans can they ?????
When I get up enough energy (its pretty warm here in AZ) I think Ill take it off and see if there is any lubrication that can be done, maybe that would help I don't know. Then the last straw is buy another one, Amazon (of course) has a lineup of them from $60-$100.
Fun isn't it
Bobby V

Gramps

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I would be more concerned with the clutch fan and it’s operation. That little aux pusher is to help the ac not really meant to cool the engine.

Is there a shroud on the main belt driven fan? If not you need one! Would explain why it’s cool on the hwy and hot at the light.

And second is the fan clutch operating as it should? Once it’s been running and up to temp, when you shut it off it should have a ton of resistance when you try to turn the blade by hand. If it just “free wheels” it’s not working correctly, and will not pull enough air to cool it.

Gramps

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
And also, if you correct your idle temps, you “might” also bring your idle under control at the same time.

bobby v

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I would be more concerned with the clutch fan and it’s operation. That little aux pusher is to help the ac not really meant to cool the engine.

Is there a shroud on the main belt driven fan? If not you need one! Would explain why it’s cool on the hwy and hot at the light.

And second is the fan clutch operating as it should? Once it’s been running and up to temp, when you shut it off it should have a ton of resistance when you try to turn the blade by hand. If it just “free wheels” it’s not working correctly, and will not pull enough air to cool it.

Hey Gramps, thanks, yep the fan has the shroud and the clutch is fine. And yeah I know the aux fan is not meant to do much for cooling the motor but I just don't feel its doing what it should, which is not giving its all, as far as I know it could be OEM that came on the truck so it may be just tired out, sort of like myself from old age lol.
And maybe living in Hells Kitchen ( about 110' today) and being a BBC Im excpecting it too run cooler that it can even when everything is up to par. Ill find out this week cause I replaced all the gauges so now Ill know the real temps, I hope so anyways :)
Bobby V

PlayingWithTBI

2022 Truck of the Year
Supporting Member
Reaction score
And maybe living in Hells Kitchen ( about 110' today) and being a BBC Im excpecting it too run cooler that it can even when everything is up to par. Ill find out this week cause I replaced all the gauges so now Ill know the real temps, I hope so anyways :)

Hey @bobby v - I don't know about your temp senders in a 7.4 but, in a SBC the CTS to the ECM is by the T-stat where the gauge sender is in the head between cylinder #s 1 & 3. My gauge in the cluster consistently reads higher (~10*) than the ECM (while data logging). When I sit at a light, my gauge starts to climb up to 212* or more while the CTS for the ECM only climbs up to 198* or so. IMO the reason is there's less coolant flow, or volume, in the head than the water jacket/intake manifold. Just an FYI...

bobby v

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Hey @bobby v - I don't know about your temp senders in a 7.4 but, in a SBC the CTS to the ECM is by the T-stat where the gauge sender is in the head between cylinder #s 1 & 3. My gauge in the cluster consistently reads higher (~10*) than the ECM (while data logging). When I sit at a light, my gauge starts to climb up to 212* or more while the CTS for the ECM only climbs up to 198* or so. IMO the reason is there's less coolant flow, or volume, in the head than the water jacket/intake manifold. Just an FYI...

Same on the BBC Old desert guy (I gotta know your name, cant keep callin you that lol) and both are brand new, my OEM gauge doesn't work just the aftermarket one. There was something wonkey with the old one, as it climbed at a signal (or any time actually) the temp would jump up about 5' if I turned up the fan speed and like wise drop the same if I lowered it ???? So I replaced it along with the oil pressure gauge. Haven't really had it out that much to test it yet, wil do this week, hopefully it acts correctly.