Aussie GMC C3500

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Clinton

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Yeah who knows what happened there. As long as it's a strong block I'm happy.

Today; swapped out the body mounts with Energy Suspension stuff, seems good. Started ripping apart the steering parts and will swap it all out.

Clutch pedal going to be a problem as thought, no where to put it!

Moparmat2000

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Werent these RHD GMT400s offered with a standard shift? Or were they all automatics? To me shifting with my left hand is gotta feel wierd. If they were offered RHD, you may need to do a junkyard run to get the parts, and or figure out the firewall. Maybe take a pen and cardboard and trace out where you need to cut out on yours.

Didebar here, i once went to look at a new jeep wrangler at my local chrysler jeep dealer. Nice 5 speed 4x4 A/C copper color paint. Price was $8k cheaper than a jeep wrangler should be. Then i saw it was a special order RHD for rural route postal service use. Person who ordered it decided to refuse it. Dealer was stuck with it. I took it for a test drive, and just could not get used to the RHD and manual shift. If i coulda gotten used to that, it would have been an interesting vehicle to own. Also seen a few RHD jeep cherokees.

Last edited:

Clinton

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Nah not to my knowledge, I've only ever seen two manual ones here, both petrol. The Holden Suburban were all automatics. I'd be the same over there with using right hand but I'd get used to it. Ive driven over there a fair bit now and strange at first but I'm okay with it. My first time driving opposite side was downtown Seattle in peak hour, so I was fine by the time we reached Montana.

Progress from today was getting all the steering linkages out, I have all new stuff from idler arm, pitman arm, the lot. Even new control arm bushings. The coolant bottle replacement from an SS Commodore fits perfect and even uses the same connection for the fluid level - benefit of GM. I'll show a photo once the new RHS battery tray arrives and I fit it out.
You must be registered for see images attach

Clinton

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Gearbox is in but the crossmember doesn't fit, worked fine for the 4L80 but not the NV4500 so not sure what's going on there...research time. If anyone knows the part needed please let me know.

The pedal assembly is progressing I just need to weld it together, make up some lines and adjustments to the pedal pad area.

Moparmat2000

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Does the crossmembers transmission mount bolt up to your NV4500 ? If so your prob going to need to slide the crossmember in the framerails to where it lines up to bolt the trans mount up to the trans, then just drill new holes in the frame that will correspond to the crossmembers existing bolt holes and bolt it together.

I use rotabroach hole cutters for stuff like that. Trying to drill a 3/8" hole with an electric hand drill it can get away from ya. These are a bit pricy but great. I even use em for breaking spotwelds in sheetmetal.

Last edited:

Clinton

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
The crossmember gets in the way, and hits the tail housing of the gearbox. Here's what it looks like, same as this one...

As it was before the swap, it sat on the top if the chassis' lower rails (self suspended) then bolted in. This would mean the new mount would sit on the hump at the top. This causes the tail housing to hit the lip. I guess I could grind it off but then it might take away from the structural strength.

This last photo shows the same or similar crossmember only that the part I was taking about looks to be trimmed out...

Last edited:

Moparmat2000

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Yeah, you might have to have to mod it to fit, then strengthen it back up. Not too big a job really. Some of the stuff my mopar brothers have done with trans crossmembers to fit transmissions in are pretty amazing. From modding original crossmembers to suit, to completely fabbing new ones from scratch. Shouldent be too hard to do, you have a lot more room under there than a Valiant does lol

Clinton

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Yeah, you might have to have to mod it to fit, then strengthen it back up. Not too big a job really. Some of the stuff my mopar brothers have done with trans crossmembers to fit transmissions in are pretty amazing. From modding original crossmembers to suit, to completely fabbing new ones from scratch. Shouldent be too hard to do, you have a lot more room under there than a Valiant does lol

I've gone down that track and cut the crossmember and using the cut out piece, will weld it back inside the fame on the back side to strengthen it up. Apart from needing to drill the forward more holes on both sides of the crossmember, it lines up pretty well.

This shows the large cut out:

I have a rubber insulation square that goes in the hole to keep sound out but it was off a 2004 2500HD so prob not made for this cut out. But I might try anyway.

Last photo is in its proper place but just need to tighten up engine mounts first, throw in the insulation thing, re-drill the crossmember holes and should be ready to measure up the tail shaft for lengthening, oh, and weld some support inside the crossmember there.