Aussie GMC C3500

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Clinton

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
In an effort to clean up the pipes hoses and wires running everywhere, I tossed up the idea of flipping the AC condenser so the inlet and outlet are on the LHS. Anyone know if that's an issue? I'm not sure they run the same as coolant.

Moparmat2000

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Are you talking about changing direction of the flow of refrigerant? If so it wont work. Liquid refrigerant needs to pass thru the orifice valve going into the evaporator. The orifice valve turns it into a spray to cool everything down.

Reversing the flow, the refrigerant will not go thru the orifice valve first. Instead of having atomized vapor in the evaporator you will have mostly liquid refrigerant. System will not cool properly.

Clinton

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Nah I don't mean changing the direction of flow, just turning the condenser 180 degrees and reconnecting the same way, or perhaps swapping inlet and outlet so it still flows up and down the right way.

Coming out of the compressor, it goes to the RHS in front of the turbo, into the condenser then out and all the way across the front, around to the LHS then into the cab. It's a ridiculously long loop. I was thinking more coming out of the compressor and doing a 180, down past the power steering pump and into the LHS, then out that side and where it currently goes.

Maybe they put a long loop onto the system to assist with cooling?
Currently waiting on parts from the States, including a HD version of the gearbox mount, which I'm hoping is taller otherwise I'll need a spacer as the angle of the gearbox has it a bit low.

So much work to go - those who said I was crazy changing to manual were right! Also on the cards is cutting a hole in the side fender as a cold air intake and having an inline filter 4" to the turbo.

You must be registered for see images attach

R422b

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Howdy Clinton from an hvac techs point of view flipping the condensor should not be a problem. No need to reverse inlet and outlet. It could release particles that were trapped in the condensor and clog the orofice. Also short smooth lines theoretically could help cooling and keeping them cool ie farther from the turbo could make a noticeable difference.

R422b

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I just have to say i really like your truck. I read through this whole thread and i am really impressed. You are doing verry nice work. Thanks for posting so many pics.

Clinton

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Thanks very much R422b, it's been an adventure.

The front end is back together, all new steering parts, front brake pads, etc etc
There's still a lot of work to go until it's on the road. Next is brake lines, then rewire it, driveshaft lengthened and a heap of smaller jobs.

The Commodore expansion tank was a little large so I'm going to use one from a Chevrolet Trax, hoping it's a good fit.

Moparmat2000

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Make sure the expansion tank is big enough to handle the amount of coolant that will cycle in and out. Too small and it will puke coolant out the overflow tank. With a large diesel engine like that, a tank from a V8 would probably work better than something off a lil pipsqueak SUV. We have Chevy Trax SUV here in the states. Its a tiny car with a 2 liter engine. Not sure if its tank will be big enough for the volume of coolant that will cycle in and out. You might want to look into 1998 Jeep wrangler 4.0L inline 6 coolant tanks they might fit better for your application. Since jeeps were available LHD and RHD right from the factory, I think those may have been imported to Oz. Rockauto has them for about $10

Last edited:

Clinton

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Thanks for the advice, I'll see how I go, but only limited space so it's a tricky thing to get right.

Here's my next dilemma"

Trying to work out how I'm connecting the brakes. Can someone tell me what I need to do here to make it work, its giving me a headache!

I've written the port size of both and the line size I'm meant to use. I can
t work out if the front or rear port for either is meant to be the front or rear brake, or maybe it doesn't matter I got no idea.

You must be registered for see images attach