At my wits end with high idle issues.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Darrell

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Congrats! Did you calibrate it after the new parts? Your success should be helpful for others.[/QUOTE] Yes I did and thanks for your's and the others help as well.

I became a TRUE believer of using nothing but ac delco parts whenever possible that's for sure.

PlayingWithTBI

2022 Truck of the Year
Supporting Member
Reaction score
My 5.0 would not shift and had high idle replaced tps and was good with the trans and no high idle

Good to hear, my question is; how did you know the TPS was the problem or was it an "educated" guess? Although generally if your trans doesn't shift the TPS is the 1st thing I'd look at. I wouldn't buy a new one until I checked with a scanner or DVM.

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I became a TRUE believer of using nothing but ac delco parts whenever possible that's for sure.
Ehhhh...

Delco doesn't make anything. They're a sales outfit that contracts for parts from other companies and puts them into a Delco-labeled box.

Delco has three or four "lines" of parts, from the cheap, low-end "Advantage" to the higher-end Original Equipment line.

Darrell

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Ehhhh...

Delco doesn't make anything. They're a sales outfit that contracts for parts from other companies and puts them into a Delco-labeled box.

Delco has three or four "lines" of parts, from the cheap, low-end "Advantage" to the higher-end Original Equipment line.
That I didn't know.. So you're basically saying it's all aftermarket parts to a degree..

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That I didn't know.. So you're basically saying it's all aftermarket parts to a degree..
The OEM-equivalent line is probably made by Delphi, but packaged in a Delco box. So it's "Genuine GM" stuff. But even that isn't a guarantee of quality. I bought an outside mirror for my Lumina from a GM dealership in a sealed GM box. Damned thing was made in China. The original had shiny black finish except where it'd been chipped by gravel, after 14 years. The new replacement was dull grey in six months.

There was a time that AC-Delco was a real, live GM subsidiary. They got broken up and sold-off ages ago. Delphi, Delco, and Remy (at least) came out of that split. The way I understand it, Delphi makes parts directly for GM, but sells some to the consumer via the usual wholsale/jobber chain, and some to other brand-names as a subcontractor. Delco buys from Delphi, AND OTHERS, and sells to the consumer via the usual wholesale/jobber chain. Remy specializes in heavy-truck stuff, but there's crossover to normal automotive applications--for example, passenger cars, light trucks, and heavy trucks might use the same starter motor. So Remy sells some stuff to the automotive consumer, via the usual wholesale/jobber chain.

Where that leaves AC, I don't really know. Can't tell the players without a scorecard, and you have to update the scorecard about every year or two because someone has bought, sold, split or merged with someone else.

It's like buying tools. There's lots of name-brands, but they're owned by a small collection of conglomerates.

letitsnow

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
The OEM-equivalent line is probably made by Delphi, but packaged in a Delco box. So it's "Genuine GM" stuff. But even that isn't a guarantee of quality. I bought an outside mirror for my Lumina from a GM dealership in a sealed GM box. Damned thing was made in China. The original had shiny black finish except where it'd been chipped by gravel, after 14 years. The new replacement was dull grey in six months.

There was a time that AC-Delco was a real, live GM subsidiary. They got broken up and sold-off ages ago. Delphi, Delco, and Remy (at least) came out of that split. The way I understand it, Delphi makes parts directly for GM, but sells some to the consumer via the usual wholsale/jobber chain, and some to other brand-names as a subcontractor. Delco buys from Delphi, AND OTHERS, and sells to the consumer via the usual wholesale/jobber chain. Remy specializes in heavy-truck stuff, but there's crossover to normal automotive applications--for example, passenger cars, light trucks, and heavy trucks might use the same starter motor. So Remy sells some stuff to the automotive consumer, via the usual wholesale/jobber chain.

Where that leaves AC, I don't really know. Can't tell the players without a scorecard, and you have to update the scorecard about every year or two because someone has bought, sold, split or merged with someone else.

It's like buying tools. There's lots of name-brands, but they're owned by a small collection of conglomerates.

I just put a new ac delco alternator in my truck. There were 2 stickers on it - One said "made in china", the other said "made for ac delco in dearborn MI".

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
While I agree that everything parts related is kind of a crap shoot these days, in my experience buying ACDelco parts (OEM part numbers, not substitutes from their Professional or Advantage lines) has never been a decision I've regretted. Even though they source from many manufacturers it seems like their quality control is much better than any of the other options. They may not make what's in the box, but they seem to at least care about it. I have no issues with paying a little bit extra for ACDelco.