At my wits end with high idle issues.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

deve05

Reaction score
I'mma start by saying that this is my first time ever owning a TBI truck and so far I'm not having a good time with it. I've had both prior gen carbed small blocks and the 5.3 and later lq and ls based small blocks and both have been much more complacent and easy to fix.

Also, before making this thread I did a keyword search and read a few threads and didn't find anything like the issues I'm having.

So here we go.

Truck: 1995 C1500 Silverado W/ 5.7L TBI engine and 4L60e.

What's been done:

Bought the truck with a clogged cooling system running straight water and a blown head gasket.
- Took off both heads and had a valve job done on them and also inspected for cracks.
-used a fel-pro head gasket kit and used new head bolts that were tightened following instructions from a Haynes Repair manual.
-had the intake manifold pressure cleaned and sand blasted and the coolant and egr passages cleaned.

What's going on:

The truck refuses to idle where its supposed to.

Right now it's idling at +/- 1,000 rpm. Since idling high, the transmission has also been shifting much higher in the RPM range. Sometimes the RPM will also rise and drop a bit and then settle at 1k again.

One night, I started it and it was suddenly idling right and it drove and shifted flawlessly. Turned it off and back on and it went back to not idling or shifting right, so I think the late shifting and idling high are related.

I've spent HOURS on forums searching through threads looking for answers and almost always end up with people pointing at the IAC valve or the TBI base plate gasket.

Following the advice of one of these threads I removed the IAC valve and plugged the hole... The truck would not start. I unplugged the hole and let it start and as expected it idled super high. Then, while running I plugged the hole and it idled SUPER low, like at 450-500, which the thread said it was supposed to.

I've changed the IAC three times. Two times with a YCT unit and this last time with an ACdelco one. Still the truck idles at 1k rpm.

I've checked ignition timing with a timing light and its right on the money.

The TBI base plate gasket is brand new as it came with my gasket set.

Also the second time I changed the IAC valve with a YCT unit, the truck idled even higher at 1,500 rpm and I could hear a loud vacuum sound coming from inside the carb. That's why i ditched YCT and went with ACdelco, but still the truck wont idle right.

My Haynes repair manual has nothing on high idle, so I have no idea what else to do.

I've clamped down on the brake booster and crankcase ventilation hoses and it's had no effect on the idle speed. I've checked the vacuum hoses for cracks and haven't found any, but I doubt it's a vacuum leak because of that one night everything worked perfect. A vacuum leak wouldn't just go on and off with an ignition switch cycle.

Any help will be appreciated because I don't know what else to do.

Sent from my moto g(6) plus using Tapatalk

skylark

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Some places to start.
Did you watch the computer change the timing from before and after you unplugged the bypass to set the timing? Have you unplugged the pcv valve and checked for vacuum coming from the valve cover to indicate an internally leaking intake manifold? Have you capped off all vacuum fittings on the throttle body and intake and does it still do it? Have you tried moving the throttle shaft around in the throttle body? Did you do an iac reset?

deve05

Reaction score
Some places to start.
Did you watch the computer change the timing from before and after you unplugged the bypass to set the timing? Have you unplugged the pcv valve and checked for vacuum coming from the valve cover to indicate an internally leaking intake manifold? Have you capped off all vacuum fittings on the throttle body and intake and does it still do it? Have you tried moving the throttle shaft around in the throttle body? Did you do an iac reset?
-Did you watch the computer change the timing from before and after you unplugged the bypass to set the timing?

No I did not.

-Have you unplugged the pcv valve and checked for vacuum coming from the valve cover to indicate an internally leaking intake manifold?

I don't understand that one....

Have you capped off all vacuum fittings on the throttle body and intake and does it still do it?

I haven't done this either, but i can definitely try it. There are vacuum fittings on the intake?? I don't think I've seen any on mine.

Have you tried moving the throttle shaft around in the throttle body?

I've tried moving the throtle shaft towards the closed position without the cable attached to see of the cable is holding it open. But haven't moved it "around" as in wiggling in all directions.

Did you do an iac reset?

The first poster told me about this too, I didn't even know such a thing existed.

Sent from my moto g(6) plus using Tapatalk

skylark

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Have you unplugged the pcv valve and checked for vacuum coming from the valve cover to indicate an internally leaking intake manifold?

I don't understand that one....

2 ways that I know of to check it. 1 fire up the engine with the pcv removed and hold a piece of paper over the grommet. If it blows away then the engine doesn't have vacuum in the crankcase. 2, put a vacuum gauge in the grommet. If it shows any vacuum at all then you have an internal vacuum leak.

PlayingWithTBI

2022 Truck of the Year
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It'd be nice if you can put a scanner on it and see what the TPS, CTS, IAC, SA, MAP, etc say.
I would also want to know what the COMMANDED RPM is compared to the ACTUAL RPM.

First Guess: IAC inoperative due to faulty wire harness or failed ECM. But it could be loads of other stuff, too.

bobby v

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
OP; I have the same problem and checked/done everything recommended from replacing all engine management items, plugs. timing, fuel pressure, vacuum leaks, check codes, spray pattern, leaky injectors ect. Taken it in the shop and checked for closed loop/open loop operation (what ever the hell that is) and to a so called injection guru, some times it idles at about 750rpms and then when I back out of the garage it goes up to around 1000rpms and just stays there, even bought a little tool that you stick in the IAC valley that isolates it and that told me nothing.
Some guys on here sound as if they really know their stuff but nowhere around me or Id ask them to take a look.:(
Disgusted with TBI
Bobby v

gric_az

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
My truck idled high before, but it never settled back to normal like you say yours does. I used a propane torch and squeezed the trigger, not enough to ignite it tho. Waved it close to everything and it would settle down at the intake/ head mounting area. Try doing that. You also say timing was spot on. It wouldn't be if it's idling high