Are there any old style mirrors with power control?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jvalaniz

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I decided to make my own mirrors out of oem gm parts…the ones I have for myself are power mirrors, but I have not messed with the wiring to get them right, they both tend to move together and pushing one way on the power button has them going another way

Attachments

• IMG_9131.jpeg
    IMG_9131.jpeg
    225.2 KB · Views: 12
  • IMG_9130.jpeg
    IMG_9130.jpeg
    296 KB · Views: 12
  • IMG_9134.jpeg
    IMG_9134.jpeg
    258.5 KB · Views: 12

GoToGuy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
The wiring is pretty straightforward , being DC , when you push the button for opposite direction you reverse the power. And have a left right switch. Did you use the factory wire diagrams?

Jvalaniz

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The wiring is pretty straightforward , being DC , when you push the button for opposite direction you reverse the power. And have a left right switch. Did you use the factory wire diagrams?
I sure haven’t, I had to take the pigtail off of these mirrors, and used them with the pigtail off of the factory mirrors, and plugged it up. I do have both diagrams to the mirrors, just haven’t had time to mess with them, unfortunately.

68corvair

Reaction score
The mirrors I saw for sale were gm aftermarket. I think they were Good Wrench but I will have to try and find them again. They looked like the stainless manual mirrors on my 94 gmc but were power. They had chrome housings so I assume they are plastic ? Almost identical to the 94-97 dodge power mirrors that are readily available.

68corvair

Reaction score
I just found them, they are the ones that 88GMC had listed. Good Wrench power mirror conversion. Complete kit with both mirrors, all the wiring and switch. No part number visible in any of th pics unfortunately.

modernbeat

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I'd think that if you were going to adapt a non-original mirror, the late GM squarebody or van mirrors might be a good starting point.

You must be registered for see images attach

rockR67

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
I just found them, they are the ones that 88GMC had listed. Good Wrench power mirror conversion. Complete kit with both mirrors, all the wiring and switch. No part number visible in any of th pics unfortunately.
I remember having a set of these on a '90 conversion Suburban. I always wondered where they came from, never found them on anything else.

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
I'd think that if you were going to adapt a non-original mirror, the late GM squarebody or van mirrors might be a good starting point.

You must be registered for see images attach
I remember those from the higher-optioned squarebody (R/V) Suburbans as well, it seems. Pretty sure the stem would mount in a gmt400 base but I guess that portion of the adjustment (fold) is still manual regardless.

Richard

HotWheelsBurban

Gotta have 4 doors..... Rawhide, TOTY 2023!
Reaction score
I remember those from the higher-optioned squarebody (R/V) Suburbans as well, it seems. Pretty sure the stem would mount in a gmt400 base but I guess that portion of the adjustment (fold) is still manual regardless.

Richard
Our '90 square body Burb had power mirrors similar to the 400 style(like the '99 Burbs and Rawhide have, the black plastic housing that manually folds in). I think the NBS power mirrors are the first factory ones to have a power folding option, our '06 has those.

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
Our '90 square body Burb had power mirrors similar to the 400 style(like the '99 Burbs and Rawhide have, the black plastic housing that manually folds in). I think the NBS power mirrors are the first factory ones to have a power folding option, our '06 has those.
Yep, I remember those, too. The last few years of R/V Suburbans had the black plastic folding mirrors with power functions, but attached to a base that mounts it to the door just below the window line, IIRC. Since there's no spot for it at the front/A-pillar angle like a gmt400, due to the vent window.

And yes, didn't mean to confuse the subject, all styles of the gmt400 mirrors (and older) would be manual fold as far as I've seen, with gmt800 being when power fold was introduced. The highest option level of the gmt800 mirrors are power, power fold, "dip" on reverse, dimming, heated, LED turn signal in the glass, puddle lamps, and memory. Our SS's have those. They're over $500/ea new, if you can get them. :( (I'm sure the "dip" function and memory aren't native to the mirror assembly itself, but are handled by the bcm)

Richard