Are TBI 350’s just this sluggish?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Before you go nuts replacing all that stuff go change the fuel filter.
I had my "Hero" moment earlier today. Buddy of mine has a clapped-out '77 or '78 4WD half-ton with a snow blade on the front. The hood folds in the middle when he tries to shut it, and that's after he had a hack welding shop add some angle-iron to the inside of the hood.

The battery cables were a mess, neither of the two batteries were held down; and one was rubbing against the side-post terminals of the other.

I wound up with the truck at my home, because he's had "vapor lock" problems for about a year. He replaced the fuel pump with no effect on the "vapor lock".

Driving it from his place to mine, we went forty-fookin-five miles an hour. I though he was sightseeing. Turns out, that was as fast as the truck would go. Then thirty-five. Then twenty. Then it just stalled about a mile away from my driveway. Had to tow it the rest of the way.

I straightened-out the battery-cable mess, replaced the defective starter, and--on a whim--checked the lil' tiny fuel filter in the inlet of the Quadrajet.

I looked like Dizzy Gillespie blowin' the trumpet trying to blow air through that PLUGGED fuel filter.
You must be registered for see images attach

The truck still needs a carb overhaul, but I took it on a test-abuse drive and saw 70 mph.

1989GMCSIERRA

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I had my "Hero" moment earlier today. Buddy of mine has a clapped-out '77 or '78 4WD half-ton with a snow blade on the front. The hood folds in the middle when he tries to shut it, and that's after he had a hack welding shop add some angle-iron to the inside of the hood.

The battery cables were a mess, neither of the two batteries were held down; and one was rubbing against the side-post terminals of the other.

I wound up with the truck at my home, because he's had "vapor lock" problems for about a year. He replaced the fuel pump with no effect on the "vapor lock".

Driving it from his place to mine, we went forty-fookin-five miles an hour. I though he was sightseeing. Turns out, that was as fast as the truck would go. Then thirty-five. Then twenty. Then it just stalled about a mile away from my driveway. Had to tow it the rest of the way.

I straightened-out the battery-cable mess, replaced the defective starter, and--on a whim--checked the lil' tiny fuel filter in the inlet of the Quadrajet.

I looked like Dizzy Gillespie blowin' the trumpet trying to blow air through that PLUGGED fuel filter.

The truck still needs a carb overhaul, but I took it on a test-abuse drive and saw 70 mph.

Thats great to hear. Sometimes the simple things get everyone. I know a few times I searched fir electric issues and d o a simple battery test or check loose cables

HotWheelsBurban

Gotta have 4 doors..... Rawhide, TOTY 2023!
Reaction score

Yes we used to put the AC #GF62 auxiliary fuel filter on all our square trucks. It has a can that unscrews and a replaceable cartridge filter #GF157, and it keeps you from having to mess with the teeny weeny filter in the carburetor. Cause it's really easy to crossthread that steel nut into the aluminum carburetor body.....

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
Yes we used to put the AC #GF62 auxiliary fuel filter on all our square trucks. It has a can that unscrews and a replaceable cartridge filter #GF157, and it keeps you from having to mess with the teeny weeny filter in the carburetor. Cause it's really easy to crossthread that steel nut into the aluminum carburetor body.....
These days those old Q-jet castings have become so brittle that playing with the inlet nut is a recipe for disaster. I've seen more than a few turn the threads to dust, and it's non-trivial to safely repair one and be sure it's not going to leak.

I've also seen a couple of very nice vehicles burnt badly because a "repair" in that area leaked.. including an all-original '68 GTO.

Richard

HotWheelsBurban

Gotta have 4 doors..... Rawhide, TOTY 2023!
Reaction score
These days those old Q-jet castings have become so brittle that playing with the inlet nut is a recipe for disaster. I've seen more than a few turn the threads to dust, and it's non-trivial to safely repair one and be sure it's not going to leak.

I've also seen a couple of very nice vehicles burnt badly because a "repair" in that area leaked.. including an all-original '68 GTO.

Richard
Yep GM never figured their vehicles would last this long.....

Reaction score
Cool post! I hope you still like your truck!
I have the same truck, '93 Sierra
465,000 miles, original 350 motor.
Still my daily driver, I'm a carpenter and she still hauls 1200 lb loads weekly. I've had her over 16 years, second owner, and drive around 800 miles per week.

They may not be speed demons but they are dependable if you do your part.

I'm just south of you in western York County.

SUBURBAN5

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Cool post! I hope you still like your truck!
I have the same truck, '93 Sierra
465,000 miles, original 350 motor.
Still my daily driver, I'm a carpenter and she still hauls 1200 lb loads weekly. I've had her over 16 years, second owner, and drive around 800 miles per week.

They may not be speed demons but they are dependable if you do your part.

I'm just south of you in western York County.

Man that's awesome you technically got me beat. Great job keeping her alive