Are SAS Suspensions This Bad?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jrgunn5150

Enjoying tomorrow's success today
Reaction score
You can see the pivot over on the passengers side, and see the axle shaft out in the open,

You must be registered for see images attach

Jrgunn5150

Reaction score
:doh2:
I forgot about what they considered the TTB on these trucks.
An 03 F250 would have one right? Friend thinks it's a Dana 60 underneath another friend's truck.

I'm not sure when they dropped the silly light duty F250, but all Super Duty's have solid axles, if they are 4x4 of course.

Earlier F250's had a dana 50 solid axle front, which is stupid, so double check the 60 on it, a 60 has a rib that runs down from the top of the pumpkin to the pinion, 50's the rib drops off before the pinion.

I just found the thread amusing, since, he was riding in an IFS truck the whole time lol.

grampadirt

On MEDICARE Officially Old
Reaction score
Yep,it's IFS,but damn that thing was rough going over small ruts rocks.My Burb is waaaay smoother,he admitted that.The GVWR is 8800lbs.,only two hundred more that my Burb.We,just today,replaced the inner & outer tie rods,adjusting sleeves & center link then got it aligned.Rides nice and steers great......on pavement lol.

Jrgunn5150

Reaction score
Yeah, the leaf spring TTB trucks are pretty brutal. The issue is they use really thick leaves, adn only two or three of them. Many thinner leaves will ride better.

Most Chevy SAS's happen with with a set of 73-87 front springs, so they ride just like one of those trucks. Some happen with 52's, which imo, ride much better.

Something more modern, like an 07-up Chevy, my FJ Cruiser, the 08-up F-150's, thing's with modern coil over's, ride leaps and bounds better than the older trucks, on road and off as far as comfort goes.

grampadirt

Reaction score
Like you said those leaf springs are brutal and thick.We know an auto repair shop owner who's into off-roading and builds his own custom suspension on Jeeps and says he knows of a kit where the front springs can be replaced with some which are much smoother.If my friend wants to off-road often he's going to have to check this out.If he follows me as his is now he's going to be left in the dust lol and he ain't gonna like it lol.

Last edited:

Blasphemy

Reaction score
A friend of mine has a SAS'd 95.5 ecsb but he has gas coilovers that are adjustable from racetrack stiffness all the way to your grandpas Cadillac. So in my honest opinion I wouldn't mess around with leaf springs. Besides leaf spring "technology" came out some time in the 1700s I think.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

FastOrange

OBSless
Reaction score
I have a 1978 K20 with a Dana 44 in the front using procomp 4" leafs and daystar super shackles (1.5" lift), rides pretty much the same as my cranked 2000 CCSB

Sent from my SM-G920W8 using Tapatalk

GL1500

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Few years back I owned a '97 F150 XLT ECSB. Bucket seats fit me perfect and it rode almost as nice as a GMT. It was the best riding truck I'd ever owned up until my current '97 C1500 (2wd so I guess it's not a fair comparison).

I replaced the F150 with an '01 Superduty F250 ECSB w/7.3 with 42K miles. The 60/40 bench was comfortable to sit in but suspension was so stiff it felt like the buckboard of a covered wagon. Loved the hauling capacity but hated the ride.

grampadirt

Reaction score
I have a 1978 K20 with a Dana 44 in the front using procomp 4" leafs and daystar super shackles (1.5" lift), rides pretty much the same as my cranked 2000 CCSB

Sent from my SM-G920W8 using Tapatalk
I've seen your K20,very nice truck.I had a '77 GMC C20 I was semi-restoring and thinking about adding a front axle to until my son wrecked it.Looks like the ride would've been tolerable from what you're saying.
Few years back I owned a '97 F150 XLT ECSB. Bucket seats fit me perfect and it rode almost as nice as a GMT. It was the best riding truck I'd ever owned up until my current '97 C1500 (2wd so I guess it's not a fair comparison).

I replaced the F150 with an '01 Superduty F250 ECSB w/7.3 with 42K miles. The 60/40 bench was comfortable to sit in but suspension was so stiff it felt like the buckboard of a covered wagon. Loved the hauling capacity but hated the ride.
I see a lot of those trucks around,wonder how many owners just accept the lousey ride for the sake of hauling capacity.