Has anyone seen this before?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Tholoth

Reaction score
Recently purchased a 96 C1500, I got it for a really good deal but I noticed a few things. It appears to have an older C-Notch done to it. Kind of weird cause the rear suspension is nowhere close to hitting and the truck doesn’t seem very low. Also I noticed some cut outs on the bed floor where the leaf springs are. Any idea why they’d cut the floor like that?

Also did they weld on shock extenders? Other trucks differential shock mounts don’t look as long.
You must be registered for see images attach

Shwa Kid

Reaction score
The bed floor brace is notched due to the aftermarket shackle, the spring would hit the notch there. A stock shackle has the top eye below the top of the frame rail. Do you have a pic of the hangers too? It's likely got lowering hangers as well for a combined drop of 4" in the rear, which wouldn't need a notch.

The shock mount looks stock to me.

Tholoth

Reaction score
The bed floor brace is notched due to the aftermarket shackle, the spring would hit the notch there. A stock shackle has the top eye below the top of the frame rail. Do you have a pic of the hangers too? It's likely got lowering hangers as well for a combined drop of 4" in the rear, which wouldn't need a notch.

The shock mount looks stock to me.

Do these look like lowering hangers?

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
Recently purchased a 96 C1500, I got it for a really good deal but I noticed a few things. It appears to have an older C-Notch done to it. Kind of weird cause the rear suspension is nowhere close to hitting and the truck doesn’t seem very low.
The axle is still sitting under the leaf spring pack (OEM configuration) - so the most it can be reasonably lowered is about 4" using the hangers and shackles you've already noticed. Mind you I said "reasonably" because I've seen some terrible hack jobs where people torch their leaf springs to make it lower.

For it to get lower you'd need to do a flip kit so the axle sits on top of the leaf pack. This is a 6" drop and when combined with drop hangers and shackles it is too much drop, so you'd need the stock parts in place before the flip.

What's your goal with the ride height on the truck?

Richard