Are Moog ball joints the way to go?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

big94GMC

Reaction score
Cutting right to the chase - my '94 C1500 needs ball joints. One, to be exact, but I might as well LOOK INTO doing all four. I'm shopping online (RockAuto, USAuto Parts Network, Summit, etc), and there are alot of choices. I have no personal experience, so I wanted to ask others who may be able to help guide me. I'm leaning towards Moog, but, no specific reason other than I THINK they're the utmost quality. (?)

What's the general consensus for the "ball joint of choice"? Must be greaseable, and not something that's gonna deteriorate after a year's use. I do not plan on ever getting rid of this truck....215,*** miles on it, and I'm gonna keep driving it daily until I die, or the end of the world! (haha)

I should mention the truck has a 6" RCD lift and 33's. I haven't touched the suspension in ANY WAY since the lift was put on, some 9 years and 140,000+ miles ago. I've been very happy with how it's held up - damn thing runs down the road straight, with a straight steering wheel. Well, it did, until I f*cked up and hurt my baby. So, I'd like to put on bj's that....well, "Set it, and forget it", like the ones that've been on the truck since the lift was installed. (No, I do not know what's been on the truck this whole time - I'd assume it's whatever comes with the RCD kit, but I do not know.)

Horns

Tiff's Wedding Crasher
Reaction score
Yes! You will find the majority of member here use Moog. They actually improve upon the products unlike other companies who just reproduce the factory items.

-Via Mobile-

dirtridinz71

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Moogs are good, so are Raybesto's, both are lifetime warrenty. I was still changing out my moog balljoints with daily driving on 35's every year to year and a half

jps4jeep

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I have run moog in the past, often with good results and sometimes with poor results. I believe there are some high-zoot aftermarket ball joints for the gmt-400 similar to the Synergy joints (and alike) for the Dana axles, I will see if I can find a link.

CUSTOM06

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
When I bought the Hoe, I did all my steering and suspension with MOOG. It does improve the play and feel of the steering and suspension.

addiction2bass

junkyard junkie
Reaction score
dito. ive went with moog myself BUT like most will recomend... if you replace any suspension part its best to go ahead and replace them all! i did not think everything needed swapped until it was dam near a one part failing after another and now ive replaced almost all of the front end with moog now. only 2 parts are not moog and thats the center link and the steering box arm WHICH IS NOW BAD and has LOTS of play! i have a replacement MOOG arm now but with my shoulder injured im putting off the swap till i have all weekend off so i will have plenty of time to tweak on it since i cannt work to fast with my injured shoulder :( I JUST HOPE IT HOLDS OUT AFEW MORE DAYS!!!!! i know it needs replaced ASAP tho i just cannt physically do it in just one night after work and be positive i can drive the truck the next day! FINGERS CROSSED IT HOLDS OUT AFEW MORE DAYS!

but anyways i do have one question... is moog really lifetime warranty? because tire shop said my idler arm also had some slop in it and i replaced it in August 2011 i wouldnt think it would have slop in it already. im hoping it just needs tightened up alittle but if it is worn already and has slop, how would i go about swapping it out for a new one? i bought mine from rockauto.com
im hoping that the pitman arm being so bad is all and its good afterwards. i guess ill find out after after i get it swapped out.
but like i was trying to say go ahead and replace everything balljoints/ tie rods/sleeves, idler/pitman and such all at once. my truck has 206K miles on it now and i figure my parts are all stock since i got it at 145K miles ish. i figure its best to just go ahead and spend the extra money now and have it worry free. UNLIKE when i started and having to replace a part at a time and getting a alignment every time! i wish i did it all at once and known it was all good! :( just my own mistake because i was stuborn and didnt listen to other chevy owners recommendations!