Anyone replaced an Upper Control Arm Mount?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Reaction score
95 C1500 Suburban.

Passenger side, firewall side, front upper mount is seriously rusted out. The other 3 look great.

I didn't see replacements for sale. Can you cut one from a junkyard frame? Well my 90A welder probably wouldn't have the juice to weld one to the frame anyway.

I welded some .060 sheet metal across the bottom and side for support but I don't know what else to do.

mtl111

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I recommend taking that to a welding/fab shop that can do the job correctly. It may cost a little bit but I wouldn't take any chances. That could eventually break and you'll end up in a wreck.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Hipster

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I never did it on a truck but I have on some restorations. You will want to use the same thickness steel as what they were originally made out of. Make a template. Make a sketch The more measurements you write down the easier to get the placement on the new one. I had an industrial metal shop that would let me root through their drop off/scraps pile and get some steel the thickness I needed for just a few dollars. Sometimes they did a few bends for me etc.

As stated this is a structural component and needs to be welded properly a 90A won't get it done and a 130a is at it's upper limits at 3/16 material.

I can't see a piece of .060 helping much. How about a few pics of what you have going on?

Last edited:
Reaction score
You must be registered for see images attach

The red outline is approx what was rusted out and overlayed with .060 sheet.

But I realized how easy I could burn through that so I used it as a backer to lay line after line of weld. Then went through 18 dremal grinding discs to cleanup a pocket for the bushing.

Yep, it looks like something from Chernobyl. But it was holding on alright half rusted away, so an extra 3/4 of weld can't hurt.

Hipster

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
The welds look cold, as in not enough heat in the welds. No HAZ. There's very little penetration going on there. Putting a second pass on top of welds that have little penetration doesn't help. It didn't really help that you didn't clean or prep up where you were going to weld with some roloc discs, carbide burr, or sandpaper rolls. I hope it's sufficient but it looks a mess. Just sayin'[/QUOTE]

Reaction score
The welds look cold, as in not enough heat in the welds. No HAZ. There's very little penetration going on there. Putting a second pass on top of welds that have little penetration doesn't help. It didn't really help that you didn't clean or prep up where you were going to weld with some roloc discs, carbide burr, or sandpaper rolls. I hope it's sufficient but it looks a mess. Just sayin'

Oh I hear ya. I know it looks like crap, but it wasn't easy getting in there to do it right. I did clean a bit of it down to metal with the dremel before the initial weld. I also hit a lot of the blobs with a hammer and chisel so as ugly as they are, they should be sufficiently penetrated. Not great, but at least just ok.