Anyone recognize this under seat sub box?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Ehall8702

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Well notice I said in high school, I was pretty limited because I was broke but wanted a little bass and that shallow mount definitely did the job for the time being, but after I got a job I upgraded to two American Bass XD1244's and yes of course it's night and day difference as you would expect. They're definitely a bang for the buck kind of sub IMO and I really do like them.

That's been like 5 years ago that I got the AB's and I've been content, my truck is too daily driver right now for me to do anything past slapping an amp and subs in there for now.

I agree that sundown's are expensive but I feel like if you're in the market for them you also wouldn't cheap out on everything else. Not saying you can't get close using cheaper options.

All in all there's an entire culture out there and everyone's preference is different

For sure! Like I said I hope I didn't offend, wasn't my intention but it all depends on funds and what u want out of a setup.

RQ Jay

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Good info guys appreciate it.
I have not done car audio in over 20 years.... And kind of honestly surprised by the super low prices of these subs.
I'm really used to shelling 200 to 300 for a sub, not that I want to now honestly, just things have changed allot over the years...

98chevy2500SS

Specializes in Accessories 101
Reaction score
They sure have gotten cheaper. I have a 12" Skar Audio sub that I bought for my 98 for about $80 on Amazon and it has an awesome loud punch, love to crank it up in the summer. :cool:

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I'm going to add my vote to the "shallow woofers aren't always garbage" side. I have two older Rockford Fosgate P3 P3SD412 shallow 12"s in a standard cab truck powered by a 1000W @ 4 Ohm 90's Lanzar Optidrive 2500, sealed boxes around .7cu/ft. They are plenty loud and sound great. I also have some DLS Reference series 6.5" and 4" components in the same truck and the subs keep up with plenty to spare. Standard depth woofers will outperform shallow models in general, but I wouldn't hesitate to run shallow mounts if that's what you have space for realistically.

Newer versions of those Rockford Fosgate P3 shallow mounts are still on the market. I've beaten the crap out of mine for the better part of a decade with about 200W RMS more than they're rated for and they've taken it like champs.

Ehall8702

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
They sure have gotten cheaper. I have a 12" Skar Audio sub that I bought for my 98 for about $80 on Amazon and it has an awesome loud punch, love to crank it up in the summer. :cool:

I've only used the ix series skar subs and I HIGHLY DO NOT RECCOMMEND that series. When u can kill a 250rms sub with a 125 watts ( amp gain set with oscilloscope like I have been for 25 years), my sister has a full skar setup in her 370z nismo and it sounds damn good and been in there for almost a year so I guess u get what u pay for ya know?

Ehall8702

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I'm going to add my vote to the "shallow woofers aren't always garbage" side. I have two older Rockford Fosgate P3 P3SD412 shallow 12"s in a standard cab truck powered by a 1000W @ 4 Ohm 90's Lanzar Optidrive 2500, sealed boxes around .7cu/ft. They are plenty loud and sound great. I also have some DLS Reference series 6.5" and 4" components in the same truck and the subs keep up with plenty to spare. Standard depth woofers will outperform shallow models in general, but I wouldn't hesitate to run shallow mounts if that's what you have space for realistically.

Newer versions of those Rockford Fosgate P3 shallow mounts are still on the market. I've beaten the crap out of mine for the better part of a decade with about 200W RMS more than they're rated for and they've taken it like champs.

And shallow woofers do have thier place and some do sound good, but usually only lower powered setups, again that's just my opinion. But just about anything fosgate is gonna get the job done and do it well. Most of those underseat boxes have almost 6" mounting depth so u can get away with a full sized mid line woofer ,and again my opinion, which will easily outperform most any shallow. I have heard just about every brand shallow( from the Pyle chopper cheapies to jl shallows and the DD shallows) and honestly none really impressed me , especially considering the amount of detail and money into the rest if the install.i actaully made my AB es12 s sound really good on 2300 clamped watts but they needed the size box as a regular sized woofer which again just defeats the point of a shallow woofer ya know?

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

That's after I put em in 2cubes each with 2300 watts

BadDecisions

Reaction score
I've got a pair of JBL GX1200s in one of those underseat boxes (cheap no name brand box, bought off Amazon for $90 shipped), fed by a 300 watt RMS Kenwood amp. Sounds fine for a set up that I've got less than $350 total in to. Didn't plan on making this truck a daily at the time I installed it, so I didn't want to sink a ton of money into the sound system either. Future plans are to pull the rear bench out, and build a larger enclosure to handle a pair of Sundown 12s while still not being obvious that it's a sub box.

I've run shallow stuff before, and given proper expectations, they too can sound just fine. Had a pair of 10 inch shallow mounts in my previous K5, sunk into the body work on the sides. Did it wake the dead 10 cars back? Nope, but they provided low end fill to my classic rock just fine. Plus, while all my buddies were getting their expensive "real" subs stolen out of the back of their trucks left and right, mine never were touched, even when I was running topless.

Meanwhile, I got to enjoy my "garbage" set up all year long, and only had to pay for it once :)

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
i actaully made my AB es12 s sound really good on 2300 clamped watts but they needed the size box as a regular sized woofer which again just defeats the point of a shallow woofer ya know?

I understand that point of view, but then again most people building an SPL oriented system probably wouldn't even look twice at a shallow woofer. (Or anything involving sealed boxes for that matter) A neat, space efficient SQ setup is another story. That was my goal in my red truck and the RF P3 shallows do that job just fine. Not everyone wants to be the loudest or give up a ton of interior space. I did the SPL thing in a few vehicles when I was younger and I'm becoming less and less interested in that as time goes by. The older I get the more time and money I end up spending on home audio as opposed to vehicle audio. I'm actually going to take the subs out of my red truck at some point so I can reclaim the last click of adjustment on my seat brackets.

Moral of the story, diff'rent strokes for diff'rent folks. Nothing wrong with that. Like I said earlier, I agree that a standard woofer will generally outperform a shallow, but I wouldn't hesitate to use a shallow in a situation where you're limited on depth. They generally have much smaller recommended box volumes as well which can come in handy.