Anyone have experience with gmt800 trucks?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

AuroraGirl

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I did finally fix this.. required pulling the shroud, fan clutch and fan blade assembly, and pulling the grille( which I already had out at the start of fixing this) It also required removing the oil cooler lines (engine oil, not trans) from the driver side end tank, which means I need new clips to properly retain the lines.(One time use)

The ps cooler, as seen in the photo, is not good shape
You must be registered for see images attach

Heres a picture inside the engine bay above the radiator looking down. See the black panel across the bottom? thats a plastic piece that sits below the radiator that the radiator bushings slot into to hold the radiator. it was curled back causing it to "Twist" along its length. The radiator was sitting outside of it just hanging over on the driver side, you can see the distortion in the radiator in this pic.

The fix was to use a cloth part of a strap to pull the radiator back into where it should be along with the plastic it slots into, by first putting the radiator into that slot, and then pulling it back toward the core support by where the PS cooler is, fortunately it didnt fight i Just had to get it to all slip together, onee it was i just held tension with one hand while i put the bolt in to retain it to the core support with the other. The condensor was also off its mount on the same side, and the ps cooler has a visible dent on the same side. I cant figure out what could cause this damage but never leave any other evidence. The grille was fine, there is no paint or evidence of an animals remains, there was no dirt or rock particles. My best guess is ice? Like hail or a chunk from a vehicle in front that shot back and impaled it. Fortunately, neither of the 3 things are leaking but that PS cooler is clearly due for replacement. my guess is road debris and the damage likely ruined the paint cover and thats why its rusting so much. New ones are available from GM so thats good. NOt too bad either. Dorman does too but ill just do the GM one.

The radiator hoses are definitely feeling squishy and have that "Degraded" feeling. So those will be in the future. Those trans cooler lines in the pic have some rust id like to clean up and paint them so they dont rust out on me. The oil cooler lines same situation. The oil cooler lines only had to be removed to clear the PCM while trying to get it all together. The oil lines actually required a bit of elbow grease to persuade to click in since the radiator end tank was now moved back a ways.

Doing this job made it clear I need new tensioners, both the AC pulley and the regular drive. I hear a factory stretch belt can be retrofited to this 6.0 easier than replacing the tensioner and belt for the AC, I would consider this since the AC belt is unlikely to need to come off anytime soon but id like a tensioner for the belt drive since i has a belt driven fan clutch and makes service a lot more friendly in the future. I was able to replace the worn idler pulley near the water pump with one off my shelf that was brand new , which is good because it has a bad bearing and the metal was rusting badly. The one I put on has a larger surface for a belt, but it has no clearance issues and the bearing is also wider, should help.

I also repacked the tensioners pulley with grease by removing the seal and spraying out the old crusty stuff.. I can tell it still needs a bearing tho since it was rusty inside and has worn enough its not gonna last forever. So new tensioner should fix that. Cleaned my throttle body as well. Nothing of import to note there.

This is a before picture, but I also cleaned up the mounting bolts for the alternator and cleaned the pads on the case and also the "GND" spot on the bracket for jumper cables. The ad230 looks original so i need to budget an AD244 to replace it, which is good to do when I do a serpentine belt and tensioner, but i may just bite the bullet and get another belt when i do upgrade.
The power steering flush revealed black instead of brown this time, which is an improvement. I imagine the black is a combination of hose innerds and varnish that the seafoam trans tune is cleaning out (the same thing comes out of my f150 steering with that stuff in it)

I need to replace a lot of the soft lines on the return side of the pump ,which should be easy enough, and put fuel injection clamps on the parts replacing the stock crimped/ferruled connections since most are leaking there. new quality hose and cleaning rust on the metal parts will make that reliable for years to come, along with new cooler and fluid. The pump is original but its woorking well. However the reservoir is leaking, so its due for a new o ring. But the rust on the reservoir where the hydroboost nipple meets the reservoir is pretty bad. So I think a new hydroboost reservoir at the smae time will be required.

Little hard to see but the flaky should be visible from the shadowy part of the pic.

Jeff Janssen

Reaction score
"I cant figure out what could cause this damage but never leave any other evidence. The grille was fine, there is no paint or evidence of an animals remains, there was no dirt or rock particles."

Could it have been driven into a pile of snow/ditch and the resulting packed in snow didn't damage the radiator etc but had enough force to push things around?

AuroraGirl

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
"I cant figure out what could cause this damage but never leave any other evidence. The grille was fine, there is no paint or evidence of an animals remains, there was no dirt or rock particles."

Could it have been driven into a pile of snow/ditch and the resulting packed in snow didn't damage the radiator etc but had enough force to push things around?
Another possibility thanks for chiming in

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
The stretch fit belt for the A/C is cake. Just don't do what I did and waste money on the Gates install tool because I couldn't make it fit my crank pulley. A couple zip ties got the job done instead. I converted both our SS's years ago, no issues, and we run the A/C all the time being SE Texas ya know.

Looked up the belt number using a GMT900 6.0, I wanna say 2009 or 2010 3500. This # fit our 2006 6.0 (LQ9) engines, not sure how universal that will be across the board though. One less tensioner and pulley to go bad = win

Richard

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score

I'll address the elephant in the room.

movietvet

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
I have tried only a couple stretch belt install tools and this one works best for me:

Lisle #59560.

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
I have tried only a couple stretch belt install tools and this one works best for me:

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media
Interesting.. yeah the Gates piece seems like a nice tool but it wouldn't fit the pulley, or I just didn't understand how to use it. I think the newer crank pulleys are designed a bit different. Since the GMT800 trucks didn't come with the stretch fit belt, it didn't surprise me that the tool wouldn't work. I routed the belt around the compressor pulley, started it onto the crank pulley, and zip-tied it with a couple pretty stout ones then turned the engine with a breaker bar until the belt slipped into place, cut the zip ties, done.

Richard

movietvet

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Interesting.. yeah the Gates piece seems like a nice tool but it wouldn't fit the pulley, or I just didn't understand how to use it. I think the newer crank pulleys are designed a bit different. Since the GMT800 trucks didn't come with the stretch fit belt, it didn't surprise me that the tool wouldn't work. I routed the belt around the compressor pulley, started it onto the crank pulley, and zip-tied it with a couple pretty stout ones then turned the engine with a breaker bar until the belt slipped into place, cut the zip ties, done.

Richard
Check the edit I did. Tried to post an Amazon link but no go. Then did an ebay link and was fine.

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
Check the edit I did. Tried to post an Amazon link but no go. Then did an ebay link and was fine.
Yep I've had the same trouble with amazon links here and I thought I'd tried in the past the trick to make them show up but it still didn't work. When you reply/quote someone that posts one, you can see the "code" for it and I did look it up on amazon and saw the Lisle tool you recommended. Simple looking little thing and if it works, that's awesome!

Richard

movietvet

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Yep I've had the same trouble with amazon links here and I thought I'd tried in the past the trick to make them show up but it still didn't work. When you reply/quote someone that posts one, you can see the "code" for it and I did look it up on amazon and saw the Lisle tool you recommended. Simple looking little thing and if it works, that's awesome!

Richard
Yea, I have found and heard from other techs that the ones with a threaded bolt of some sort, are a PITA and do not work easily. The one I posted and this one, get the higher marks: