Anyone broke a rod or blown up a stock L31?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jesse82nc

The Burb
Reaction score
So has anyone destroyed a stock L31 (5.7L Vortec)? Such as a broken rod or something else?

If so, do you know how much power you were running? Boosted or N2O? How much PSI or shot?

Just wondering how far you can go before something gives and what gives first.

Thanks

FastOrange

OBSless
Reaction score
i threw spun a rod bearing on my first 350, was a 1994 TBI 350 block with 906 Vortec heads, was pushing around 350HP, my own human error caused it to go.

im currently running a 1989 TBI 350 4-bolt main block, 906 vortec's and roughly 375-400HP, and i beat the out of it sometimes, no issues as of yet.

TBI and Vortec's more or less use the same bottom end.

LoudnLifted88

Small Block Grim Reaper
Reaction score
they don't call me the small block grim reaper for nothing lol I mainly just over revved mine they don't like a lot of rev limiter either

Horns

Tiff's Wedding Crasher
Reaction score
Jake just does wicked sick burnouts bouncing off of the limiter for about 10 minutes straight and they go BOOM!

bjones

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Blew my factory L31 letting my buddy drive my truck on the freeway, truck had a TransGo HD-2 in it with command shift and my buddy pulled the shifter from 3rd to 2nd instead of third to 4th at 90mph WOT

rod came out, it was pretty gnarly

tscherbi

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Mine went out going 65 mph down the freeway with the cruise set. 120,000 miles. Spun the 1 and 2 bearings in the bottom end. We pulled the numbers on the motor, and the clock stamp, did some research and came to the conclusion my motor was built later in the day on a Friday. I call it the 5:00 Friday night motor. After checking out the block and crank, nothing was true, or square. It seemed like there machines had fallen out of spec when it was being made, I had to buy a new crank, it was beyond repair, and had to line bore the block.

RHamill

Ryan
Reaction score
Mine went out going 65 mph down the freeway with the cruise set. 120,000 miles. Spun the 1 and 2 bearings in the bottom end. We pulled the numbers on the motor, and the clock stamp, did some research and came to the conclusion my motor was built later in the day on a Friday. I call it the 5:00 Friday night motor. After checking out the block and crank, nothing was true, or square. It seemed like there machines had fallen out of spec when it was being made, I had to buy a new crank, it was beyond repair, and had to line bore the block.

:lol: The guys on the line were like "fk this job, fk this pay, fk the guy who gets this engine hahhahahahahha!"

chevyman("

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Lol im wondering how tough my l31 smallblock really is she sees WOT quite often at maybe 5500 rpm shift points thats well within the comfort zone for a stock bottom end right?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free