Anti theft steering column

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

SUBURBAN5

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Yes, but a kill switch only works if you remember to do it.....
That's how my family got our first 400 series Burb. Our 84 square body Burb got stolen from the driveway. It had a keyed kill switch that Dad and I installed behind the grille. Long handle on the key, made a good weapon too. But he took my brother and I to our place from work, went back home, and came out the next morning to a pile of glass that used to be the vent window. Dashboard was partially disassembled ( Dad and I were working on it) but the truck was still drivable. But if he'd remembered the switch, maybe they'd have been slowed down, or caught.....
Oh well, it got me a good 99 Burb ( until it got wrecked) and then the one I have now. I miss my square trucks, but I like my current Burb too.

That's tough. My dad had a 86 c10 scsb. They use to call it silver bullet. He had a aftermarket alarm on it and was having trouble one day so he turned it off. Picked up my mom and went to a store. She had left her purse and my dad had a gun at the time but no ltc, so he left that in the truck. 30min later they came out to a empty parking spot.... truck gone and everything in it... talk about a dumb mistake ... had to file a stolen truck/gun report. Never got the truck back. I think they stripped it down and sold it for parts. As for the gun it was used in a shoot out months later. Not sure if it anybody got killed... anyways lot of bad people out there. This was in houston by navigation. Also in the early 90s. I think he went 2yrs without a truck and around the time my sister was born bought a 93 c1500 excab

thegawd

I'm Done!
Reaction score
I know Canada has problems, but am I ever glad that I dont have to walk around with one of my long guns to feel safe. my wife was clobbered on the head by some punk ass ***** in a walmart parking lot trying to take our truck and a random guy kicked the **** out of him and held him until the cops came. he was a minor and no report was ever filled, nothing ever came of it a waste of skin. she used to park waaaay away from the entrance.... no more. I see red when something like that happens, it's a good thing I dont carry a gun.

Al

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
If someone wants to steal your **** bad enough, they will. You can slow em down, and I think a detachable steering wheel is the best way to do that, but you will never stop a determined thief.
Stolen wrecker, hauling a stolen CTS-V, and likely stolen Tahoe & Escalade front/rear backing them up. Here in Houston.. (dunno if the pic will show to y'all, it shows for me, but it's from a private FB group.) These roaches will stop at nothing if they want it.

You must be registered for see images

Richard

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
My dually is wrecker proof, but obviously if it can be started it can be stolen.

Were those people caught?
Not yet, not that I heard of anyway. Pic source is unknown, but fact is regardless that someone saw them, if they call it in that doesn't mean the cops will respond. I've been on the phone with dispatch (more than once) trying to get them to come after a drunk driver bouncing off the freeway walls at high speed and even with specific location and description of the vehicle they act like you're wasting their time. HPD is a joke..

I hope you're right that your truck is wrecker-proof. In my experience (I do non-consent towing) very little is wrecker-proof. If it's slammed on the ground that's a good start, but a pager alarm that will let you know they're out there trying to get it, goes a long way towards catching them before they can escape with it. **** at this point I'm tempted to install a Mico brake lock on my stuff just so all 4 wheels are hard locked up with the brake system. Kinda pricey and some work to install, but,...... like I said, in my experience, very little is wrecker-proof. The car thieves have figured this out, so they just go steal a wrecker then use it to steal other rides all night.

Richard

HotWheelsBurban

Gotta have 4 doors..... Rawhide, TOTY 2023!
Reaction score
Not yet, not that I heard of anyway. Pic source is unknown, but fact is regardless that someone saw them, if they call it in that doesn't mean the cops will respond. I've been on the phone with dispatch (more than once) trying to get them to come after a drunk driver bouncing off the freeway walls at high speed and even with specific location and description of the vehicle they act like you're wasting their time. HPD is a joke..

I hope you're right that your truck is wrecker-proof. In my experience (I do non-consent towing) very little is wrecker-proof. If it's slammed on the ground that's a good start, but a pager alarm that will let you know they're out there trying to get it, goes a long way towards catching them before they can escape with it. **** at this point I'm tempted to install a Mico brake lock on my stuff just so all 4 wheels are hard locked up with the brake system. Kinda pricey and some work to install, but,...... like I said, in my experience, very little is wrecker-proof. The car thieves have figured this out, so they just go steal a wrecker then use it to steal other rides all night.

Richard
Yeah, and the repo guys have to be stealthy, or in a lot of areas they'll get shot. My mom's Chrysler got repoed from our carport. I was sleeping not 10 feet away from it, the factory alarm didn't go off, and I never heard anything. And this car wouldn't do anything w/o the factory keys ($ 300 each, cause the key is the remote! Thanks Mercedes).

618 Syndicate

You won't...
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Richard
I've done a few of those repo's myself .... always a good time.

Dually is bagged and lays frame (wheels up in the flares), no tow hooks, roll pan. It'll stop dead when the bags are dumped. You're not getting a wheel lift or J hook under it, and there's nothing to chain to except the frame holes by the wheels. If you could get a hook in one of them (big if) you'd still have to drag it on the frame. You could get a strap around the front bumper, but you're likely to end up with just that. Motion cameras/lights, guns and dogs.
Not theft proof, but difficult.