Another TBI running rich

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

cadillac7834

Reaction score
Unplugged the timing wire, started it, ran pretty well once it started. Didnt have to touch the throttle either. I mean, it doesnt run near as nice a my 84 carbed Toyota pickup, but good for what it is. Set the timing back to 0 and I'll try it later tonight once it gets good and cold
Unplugged the timing wire, started it, ran pretty well once it started. Didnt have to touch the throttle either. I mean, it doesnt run near as nice a my 84 carbed Toyota pickup, but good for what it is. Set the timing back to 0 and I'll try it later tonight once it gets good and cold.

It sounds like your truck is experiencing TBIPOS. Really only remedy is to install a Lm7, or Lq9
That should solve your problem ASAP !

opus

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
TBIPOS for sure. Something so simple yet so convoluted at times. The money I have in this thing....yeah, no LM7 or 9 for me.

PlayingWithTBI

2022 Truck of the Year
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Unplugged the timing wire, started it, ran pretty well once it started. Didnt have to touch the throttle either.
Starting to look like it's something in the ICM to PCM controls? When you replaced the ICM the last time did you use an AC Delco or Delphi AND some high quality thermal compound under it? I use an AC Delco ADO-1984A ICM from Summit Racing and Arctic MX-4 compound and have had good luck with it.

opus

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
I used Delco. I used thermal conductor but wy should that matter? All that is is a heat sink and its not even mildly warm enough to be concerned being hot.

Ehall8702

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I was gonna say, sounds ALOT like temp sensor,....gotta have live data on a scan tool and look at coolant temp , gauge has its own sensor but ecm uses the sensor infrint of t-stat housing. Gauge could say 70 and ecm thinks it's -30 and dumps the fuel on. Inspect plug and wiring also while u replace ur $15 sensor and be on your way most likely. I fix atleast 6 just like this a month up here, some from corrosion in the plug some are bad sensors and some are nice chewing the wire. Broken connection reads a a very very cold reading and ecm dumps fuel to compensate.

opus

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Its not the CTS. Temps are right, voltage is right, ohms are right, and ground is proper. Again, that would be a consistent problem, not a 40 second issue.

Ehall8702

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Its not the CTS. Temps are right, voltage is right, ohms are right, and ground is proper. Again, that would be a consistent problem, not a 40 second issue.
No offense but what are you reading temps from? Your gauge doesn't see what the ecm sees, unless you have a decent scanner you can't see what the ecm is seeing, again no offense meant just asking for clarification so ur not overlooking something stupid ya know?

Leonidman63

Reaction score
I got tired of mine throwing fits and not idling. No codes stored or otherwise. Replaced nearly everything and same problem. My solution was replacing the tbi with a carb and HEI distributor (manifold and all that stuff). At least now I can work on it if need be and don't have to fool with a scanner which I don't know if it would help or not. Much less aggravation and a wider selection of cams for it. Just my $0.02 and my solution.